Three Kingdoms (2010)

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
1560865331880.png

Three Kingdoms is a 2010 Chinese television series based on the events in the late Eastern Han dynasty and the Three Kingdoms period. The plot is adapted from the 14th century historical novel Romance of the Three Kingdoms and other stories about the Three Kingdoms period.

I watched this show in January. It has 95 episodes and I must say I enjoyed it quite a bit. Although it does not really stick to historical truth, it is still fun with interesting characters and generally an interesting setting. The acting is good, especially big players like Cao Cao and Liu Bei, though my favourite characters were definitely Zhuge Liang and Zhou Yu. So, it was an enjoyable show. There are two big drawbacks though:

1. the action is terrible, especially 1 on 1 action. It is simply awful. Sudden camera cuts, bad editing, unrealistic stunts. It is really bad and sticks out like a sore thumb. It is good that the focus of the show is clearly on politics and scheming rather than on fighting.

2. the ending. It doesn't even cover the whole reunification of China, it just stops when Sima Yi takes power in Wei and the series ends with a narration that the Three Kingdoms will be reunited under the Jin. I mean...why not show that? Also, Sun Quan kind of disappears from the show in the last few episodes.

Did anyone else watch this show?

Apr 2016
Raleigh, NC
There was a brief thread on the Three Kingdoms earlier: Three Kingdoms (2010)

The battle scenes were just tedious. My problem with the end was that I just hated Cao Cao's offspring and Sima Yi. 95 episodes and the genuinely unsympathetic characters win!! I'm a sucker for sanctimony, so I liked Liu Bei. I was also a big fan of Zhuge Liang. One of the more distressing events in any TV series was the rainstorm that allowed Sima Yi to escape, like Zhuge Liang had lost his mojo.

The series did a good job with the psychology of ambition and leadership.

Jun 2018
New York
I just started watching this. Only on episode 6 but I am really enjoying it. After that first fight I knew that would not be the strong point. But I am watching it for the politicking and how all these people interact with each other and one up each other. If I want amazing battles I'll go re-watch Red Cliff. (It was through trying to find others opinions on the movies that I came across Three Kingdoms).

Will for sure be continuing the show and definitely taking it slow. So much happens in 40 minutes.

Apr 2016
Raleigh, NC
You can tell the mounted combat scenes are actors doing it on foot with closed up shots.
Actually, I don't think so. There's a YouTube on the making of the Three Kingdoms. The actors are seated on wooden horses which are mounted on a small, merry-go-round type platform.

HackneyedScribe

Ad Honorem
Feb 2011
1. the action is terrible, especially 1 on 1 action. It is simply awful. Sudden camera cuts, bad editing, unrealistic stunts. It is really bad and sticks out like a sore thumb. It is good that the focus of the show is clearly on politics and scheming rather than on fighting.
As the Chinese filming industry got richer for some reason their Kung Fu action scenes got worse, way worse. I get a headache watching it too. Even the Water Margin remake suffered greatly from this, and it was supposed to be a Kung Fu flick. If you want minimum badly edited camera cuts, the 1998 version of Water Margin is better.

2. the ending. It doesn't even cover the whole reunification of China, it just stops when Sima Yi takes power in Wei and the series ends with a narration that the Three Kingdoms will be reunited under the Jin. I mean...why not show that? Also, Sun Quan kind of disappears from the show in the last few episodes.
The original Three Kingdoms series covers the period that you mentioned. However this was back when Chinese films had vastly reduced resources. Expect the costumes and props to be subpar.

Sep 2019
Canada
I'm about 26 episodes in, just before the Battle of Guandu is portrayed. I think its an excellent show, the fighting scenes can be a little ridiculous and silly, but you generally find that in Asiatic programs, its not that big of a deal.
But I love the writing, and I love the character development. Whoever plays Cao Cao is absolutely EXCELLENT for the role, he makes the character very captivating and fun to watch.