Tidbits; Food in History

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
Did Australians ever put vegemite next to the salt and pepper when they set the table?
No . Its a sandwich spread and a grease for kids bicycle chains , so it would sit or appear next to jam or peanut butter, or on a shelf in the back shed .

The thing to put alongside the P & S would be your dead horse ..

1566073768497.png

center table - prime position

1566074042179.png

Reactions: Offspring

Scaeva

Ad Honorem
Oct 2012
Barbecue was indirectly responsible for a wave of piracy in the Caribbean.

French frontiersmen in 17th Century Hispaniola would hunt wild cattle and hogs, and after smoking the meat on a grill called a boucan (the method had been learned from the local Taino natives), they'd sell it to passing ships. The men became known as boucaniers because of their method of preparing meat.

Spain viewed the island as theirs and the French boucaniers as little more than squatters, and since the meat was being sold to French and British ships who were likewise "unwelcome," troops were eventually dispatched to run them off. This had the unfortunate consequence for Spain of swelling the population of ports like Tortuga, where the now out of work boucaniers - many of whom were rather rough characters to begin with - signed on as crew for pirate or privateer ships that raided Spanish shipping and towns. So common were they among the corsairs that the word boucanier eventually became associated with piracy rather than a method of preparing meat.

As more British sailors got into the game of plundering the Carribean, boucanier passed into the English language as buccaneer.

Reactions: sailorsam
Oct 2016
Merryland
The upper classes in pre-modern Japan often suffered from beri-beri.

This was as a result of eating white rice, which provides inadequate levels of vitamin B1 (thiamine). The lower classes couldn't afford and were often not allowed to eat white rice, being limited to brown rice or millet - and as a result, having better health.
supposedly this happened in antebellum South USA
wealthy white families fed their kids white bread and 'fine food'
poor blacks fed theirs with corn bread, greens, 'pot likker', etc, and was one reason many blacks were bigger/stronger

during the Vietnam War; the USA was supplying their Hmong allies with polished white rice, which caused nutrition problems. they started adding some kind of fish oil to the rice and problem solved.
polished white rice is apparently near-empty calories.

Oct 2016
Merryland
good account indicative of the importance of rice in parts of the world.
I'm no expert but I'm told the Chinese pictogram for 'happiness' may be translated 'rice bowl'. as long as you have your bowl of rice you're all right.

European equivalent would be bread, hence Marie Antionette's infamous comment. Bible suggests 'you shall earn your bread by the sweat of your brow' and compares Jesus to 'the Bread of life'.
necessity of life.
Sherlock Holmes on his work as a Consulting Detective; 'this is how I earn my bread and cheese'.
60s hippie lingo; 'bread' synonymous to money (as was 'dough' at an earlier time)

Reactions: Todd Feinman

Todd Feinman

Ad Honorem
Oct 2013
Planet Nine, Oregon
good account indicative of the importance of rice in parts of the world.
I'm no expert but I'm told the Chinese pictogram for 'happiness' may be translated 'rice bowl'. as long as you have your bowl of rice you're all right.

European equivalent would be bread, hence Marie Antionette's infamous comment. Bible suggests 'you shall earn your bread by the sweat of your brow' and compares Jesus to 'the Bread of life'.
necessity of life.
Sherlock Holmes on his work as a Consulting Detective; 'this is how I earn my bread and cheese'.
60s hippie lingo; 'bread' synonymous to money (as was 'dough' at an earlier time)
Bethlehem = "Bread House".

Oct 2016
Merryland
Bethlehem = "Bread House".
really interesting section in the Bible, 27th chapter of Ezekiel. list of countries and goods, early version of the global marketplace
“Judah and the land of Israel were your traders. They traded for your merchandise wheat of Minnith, millet, honey, oil, and balm." 17th verse

interestingly, in the New Testament there is reference to Israel's supplying of food to Tyre and Sidon (Acts 12:20)

Reactions: Todd Feinman