Tidbits; Food in History

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
In several East Asian languages, "rice" is a synonym for "food".

The classical name for the USA in Japanese is "beikoku" 米国 , or "rice country", which I believe is inherited from Chinese.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
In several East Asian languages, "rice" is a synonym for "food".

The classical name for the USA in Japanese is "beikoku" 米国 , or "rice country", which I believe is inherited from Chinese.
Was that name due to the US's abundance of food? I mean, even nowadays we're literally making so much food that we unfortunately throw a lot of it away even though it's still relatively fresh. :(

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
Was that name due to the US's abundance of food? I mean, even nowadays we're literally making so much food that we unfortunately throw a lot of it away even though it's still relatively fresh. :(
I don't know. I don't speak Chinese.

The name for England is "eikoku", or "hero country".

Reactions: Futurist

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
Very racist in looks but then again Indians are not one race so it's a failed attempt
Ah, a linguistc puzzle is it ?

or are you suggesting 'Indians are racist in looks' ..... but since they are not one race ...... your idea failed ?

:confused:

Obscure .

And Indians DO belong to one race .... its called the human race .

Aug 2019
Bengaluru, India/Sharjah, UAE
W
Ah, a linguistc puzzle is it ?

or are you suggesting 'Indians are racist in looks' ..... but since they are not one race ...... your idea failed ?

:confused:

Obscure .

And Indians DO belong to one race .... its called the human race .
I was talking of scientific facts not spiritual ones

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
Every rice eating culture in Asia is, I think. You won't see an Indian eating short grain rice with his vindaloo.
Indians eat all kind of rice, only different Indians don't like sticky rice like East Asians. Sticky rice is frowned upon and certain techniques(soaking and drying) are employed that rice don't become sticky after cooking.

Reactions: Kizznyc

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
Indians eat all kind of rice, only different Indians don't like sticky rice like East Asians. Sticky rice is frowned upon and certain techniques(soaking and drying) are employed that rice don't become sticky after cooking.
Short grain rice =/= glutinous/sticky rice. Which kind are you talking about?

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
Basmati is a long grained rice, there are also local varieties of small grained rice like sona masoori.
I'm aware of that. I mean when you say "Indians don't like sticky rice", are you referring to short grain rice or glutinous rice?