Titanic anniversary

Mar 2019
Kansas
Today 107 years ago, Titanic struck an iceberg an foundered.

The tragic events of that night have been replayed endlessly through various entertainment mediums. However one group of people rarely if ever mentioned was the senior engineering staff (none of which survived) who remained at their post to the end. Simulations show the vessel should have capsized very early in the sinking, but these engineers kept the ship trim and avoided an considerable lists until the very end.

I can not even begin to imagine the bravery and sense of duty that drives a group of men to act the way they did. Many who were rescued that night have this small group people to thank for their salvation.

Mar 2019
Kansas
Nice citation, MG.
Thank you. When I heard about these guys a few years ago, I was stunned how little of their story was known to the world. The other unsung heroes of that night were the electricians who just kept jury rigging back and forward enough power to keep the lights on until the very end. Also helping to save many people.

Edratman

Ad Honorem
Feb 2009
Eastern PA
Thank you. When I heard about these guys a few years ago, I was stunned how little of their story was known to the world. The other unsung heroes of that night were the electricians who just kept jury rigging back and forward enough power to keep the lights on until the very end. Also helping to save many people.
Unfortunately, the past is replete with anonymous and/or forgotten people who have made the ultimate sacrifice for the sake of others.

Mar 2019
Kansas
Technically the Titanic struck an iceberg on April 14 and sank on April 15 in the timezone it was in. Like Abraham Lincoln 47 years earlier.
There is considerable debate (as with everything it seems concerning the Titanic) about what 'actual' time she hit the iceberg. Although the initial collision is listed at 11.40pm. That was ship time and not the local time zone. Ship clocks were supposed be crept forward 47 minutes twice a day, but for some reason doubt has been shed if the clocks were moved at all that day.

Similar History Discussions