Titanic Struck By Torpedo Boat?

Status
Closed
Dec 2018
California
Possible?
Austria's Torpedo Technology was pretty advanced by April 1912. With Titanic as large as it was I doubt anyone would of been skilled enough to distinguish the difference between a torpedo strike and an a iceberg. Besides torpedo's at the time were a relative unknown device to most laymen and civilian.

redcoat

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Stockport Cheshire UK
Possible?
Austria's Torpedo Technology was pretty advanced by April 1912. With Titanic as large as it was I doubt anyone would of been skilled enough to distinguish the difference between a torpedo strike and an a iceberg. Besides torpedo's at the time were a relative unknown device to most laymen and civilian.
Even a layman would notice the difference between hitting a massive great iceberg and being struck by a torpedo.

Chlodio

Ad Honorem
Aug 2016
Dispargum
1. Motive - Why would anyone want to torpedo the Titanic? No one with torpedo technology was at war with Britain at the time. What advantage would anyone gain by torpedoing a liner like that?
2. Witnesses report seeing an iceberg. No one claims to have seen a torpedo or a torpedo boat.
3. Icebergs were known to be in the area. No known torpedo boats were in the area.
3. The damage as reported by eyewitnesses extended along several hundred feet of the ship's length. Torpedo damage would be confined to a single spot. Flooding from a single torpedo hit could be contained by the ship's watertight compartments.
4. Many people barely noticed the iceberg strike. I think everyone would have noticed an exploding torpedo.

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Lago Maggiore, Italy
An Alien torpedo boat, probably ...

This thread can make us reason about the human habit to remove chaos, fate ... chance from our existence. Our brain has to find an explanation [rational or not ... a physical law or a fairy are the same for our mind].

But fate ... chaos ... no, no, no. Overall when chaos is aided by human lacks. A lack of organization and attention has allowed an iceberg to hit the Titanic, nothing else.

Our mind needs something different, less mundane ... it's the mind process which produces paranoia. A subject with paranoia simply hides his own problems under a kind of cover, shield. But that shield protects the reality from the subject.

Jan 2015
MD, USA
Torpedoes are relatively small, made of metal, and travel fast under the water, and make a big explosion. Icebergs, by contrast, are really big and made of ice, and they float. Guess which one was seen by a couple hundred people as it gouged a big long gash in the side of the ship that night?

There are MANY accounts of other large ships being struck by torpedoes. Read a few of them, or Google up videos, and you might notice they are all different from the Titanic event.

Matthew

Dec 2018
California
I heard a tale of a photograph shown to an american Officer down in South America, Pretty sure it was around 1910. The German pulled out a couple of pictures of a ship being torpedoed by a "german u-boat". Very proud of the sinking. the officer was asked if he liked the pictures. Apparently the American Officer went ballistic. Never found out the ships name, and what was also said to the officer but apparently it must of been completely outrageous. Besides the fact about being asked if he liked the pictures that is.

Pretty sure I found the pictures years ago, can't locate them. now, don't think it was the Titanic, Looked like some kind of cargo ship. But goes to show you the mentality of those early u-boat commanders.

Also found it interesting that there was an agreement, treaty that ships could not be attacked something like ten miles from safe harbor, Titanic sank 10 miles from the Opening of New York Harbor. Or some distance, can't remember, but right at the Treaty Threshold distance.

Anywho
back to La Perouse

Last edited:

Bart Dale

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
Possible?
About as likely as being sunk by a giant meteorite. The wreck of the Titantic has been found, and there is no evidence of a torpedo damage, no reports of any explosion by any of the survivors that is typical of a torpedo attack, and no reason for anyone to torpedo the Titanic since there wasn't a war going on.

Further, submarines lacked the range to attack the Titanic where it sank, and there is no evidence of any kind of surface torpedo ship in the area that could attack the Titanic.

A meteorite of gold landing in my back yard is more likely.

Oct 2013
Europix
I heard a tale of a photograph shown to an american Officer down in South America, Pretty sure it was around 1910. The German pulled out a couple of pictures of a ship being torpedoed by a "german uboat". And Very proud of the sinking. And asked if he liked the pictures. Apparently the American Officer went ballistic. Never was told what was said to the officer but apparently it must of been completely outrageous

Saw the pictures years ago, can't locate them. now.
I remember something like that too.

In my recollection, the German guy wasn't German, but Dutch.

The Dutch Indian Co. bought a German torpedo, the one that torpedoed the Titanic. (It's true, it's about big money, monopoly, aso)

The famous band that kept playing till the Titanic sunk: it was a jazz band originary feom Dutch Indias, and they kept playing because they expected the Dutch torpedo crew will save them.

What they didn't knew was that the torpedo boat sunk too (the second torpedo destinated to the Titanic malfunctioned and explode on board) and the only survivor was the Chief torpedoist, that passed himself for a German turist in the Titanic's lifeboat.

Last edited:
Status
Closed

Similar History Discussions