Today Indian SC began its First war of independence war against British East India company, was there any chance of liberation?

Mar 2019
KL
Indian SC’s first war of independence begun on this day in 1857 against the East India Company. The British response was brutal. Indians were indiscriminately murdered in reprisal acts. Some were even tied to cannons which were then fired as a form of execution.

British common wealth system still rules Sub Continent, is there any chance that SA does away with it in future?

regards

Shouldn't this be in speculative history? Assuming that Britain still fought the major wars of the 20th Century, I don't see how the British could hold on India until today.

As for atrocities, wasn't it also true that some Indian troops/armed servants repeatedly swore to protect the families of the British officers but then abandoned them regardless?

Mar 2019
KL
Shouldn't this be in speculative history? Assuming that Britain still fought the major wars of the 20th Century, I don't see how the British could hold on India until today.

As for atrocities, wasn't it also true that some Indian troops/armed servants repeatedly swore to protect the families of the British officers but then abandoned them regardless?
not today but 1857

Nemowork

Ad Honorem
Jan 2011
South of the barcodes
some really gruesome stories of head hunting which was committed by colonists during the war

The Indian mutineer's skull found in a UK pub
His next victim was the Rev. Mr. Hunter, a missionary, who was flying with his wife and daughters in the same direction. He murdered Mr Hunter, and his wife and daughters after being brutally treated were butchered by the road side.
Sounds like a paragon of the independence movement. He's committed mutiny, become a bandit, has committed rape and murder and has been executed using a traditional Mughal method of killing rebels and traitors.

Mar 2019
KL
In that case, I don't think that the rebellion would be successful. From reading a few books a long time ago, the Indian rebellions had too many varying goals/causes/factions.
i think as always, the colonists used a lot of indians in squashing the rebellion, sikhs, punjabis soldiers esp were used against the freedom fighters, i think if the rebellion had touched all indian soldiers equally and if they all refused to follow the brits, then it could have been successful.

there are many instances of punjabi soldiers rebelling even in Punjab and as the above article illustrates some some punjabis like alum bheg rebelled but i think it wasn't successful in swaying all punjabi soldiers away from the clutch of the brits.

i think sikhs realised it much later when it took jalianwala bagh massacre to convince them against the brits.

regards

Mar 2019
KL
Sounds like a paragon of the independence movement. He's committed mutiny, become a bandit, has committed rape and murder and has been executed using a traditional Mughal method of killing rebels and traitors.
what has been argued is the man hunting, a very evil, primitive practice which were done away as early as bronze age civilizations probably even before neolithics. the rapes are not being justified, but then this account is coming from the guy who is responsible from the man hunt, so it can be subjective to bias. this account needs to be tallied with other accounts being highlighted in the article. secondly the rapes are not mentioned only brutalities are mentioned which could mean torture as well, but understandably rape is pretty much to be concluded.

rapes were committed through out the human history but man hunting was never committed as a practice of retaliation. it was only done by very primitive societies who probably also engaged in cannibalism.

regards

Larrey

Ad Honorem
Sep 2011
Considering how close it actually came to ousting the British, and the impression the experience left on the in British India, I'd say it could have succeeded.

How the aftermath might have played out, whether it would have opened up a wider Indian general conflict about where to head for the future, and whether the British might have been able to stage come back is another matter.

Apr 2019
India
i think as always, the colonists used a lot of indians in squashing the rebellion, sikhs, punjabis soldiers esp were used against the freedom fighters, i think if the rebellion had touched all indian soldiers equally and if they all refused to follow the brits, then it could have been successful.

there are many instances of punjabi soldiers rebelling even in Punjab and as the above article illustrates some some punjabis like alum bheg rebelled but i think it wasn't successful in swaying all punjabi soldiers away from the clutch of the brits.

i think sikhs realised it much later when it took jalianwala bagh massacre to convince them against the brits.

regards
Brits squashed too many rebellions in Odisha and Bengal. They were merciless but they could turn into squishy kittens when it served their purpose.

I think you like kittens. Don't you?