Today, why are Korea and Vietnam independent nation instead of being parts of china?

Nov 2010
Two thousands years ago, china was unified by qin dynast followed by han dynast. During this period, china conquered nanyue kingdom (approximately Guangdong province of china today), Vietnam, Korea. Today, Guangdong is a part of china, but Vietnam and Korea are independent nation. Before the western country came to east Asia, the two country adopted Chinese writing system, Chinese political system, Chinese culture and so on. But why the Korea and Vietnam are different from Guangdong(nanyue kingdom)?

Sep 2010
Bahrain
Re: Today, why are Korea and Vietnam independent nation instead of being parts of china?

Could be it due to something called Nationalism ?:rolleyes:

Toltec

Ad Honorem
Apr 2008
Hyperborea
Re: Today, why are Korea and Vietnam independent nation instead of being parts of china?

As for the last 50 year China has either wanted to or actually grabbed any piece of land that was part of or even remotely claimed by China in the past, they could be again someday.

Apr 2010
Manila

Korea invented its own system of language, writing and culture. It only borrowed something from China, so Korea only developed something dependently out of China. Just like Vietnam, it has its own language and culture, but with a slight difference.

And both nations has its own unique history (kingdoms) in the past centuries so I doubt they would join China.

Dec 2009

Korea invented its own system of language, writing and culture. It only borrowed something from China, so Korea only developed something dependently out of China. Just like Vietnam, it has its own language and culture, but with a slight difference.

And both nations has its own unique history (kingdoms) in the past centuries so I doubt they would join China.
Right, both Korea & Vietnam are entirely different and original cultures, irrespectively if they were influenced by the Chinese (in East Asia and even beyond, who doesn't?).

And of course, they have had the strength to back their uniqueness with political and military power; they have both duly fought for their independence.

Sep 2006
Korea (but I'm American!)

A more appropriate question would be, why are Tibet and Eastern Turkestan a part of China today?

People have got to understand just how much China has been hemmed in by its geography. It is surrounded by mountains and desert.
The Vietnamese and Koreans are totally different peoples from the Chinese. The Romans didn't just walk into Scotland and Germania. Also China has been under constant attack from Nomads from the North throughout its history.
China never conquered all of Korea during Han. They destroyed the Kingdom of GoJoSeon in the North and the remanents moved south in the Korean peninsula. Vietnam has been under China for long periods of history but always maintained their own identity much like the Irish or Scotish under England.

Then China fell apart in 220. China tried to conquered the Northern Korean kingdom of Goguryeo in the 6th and 7th centuries several times but conintually failed until China allied with the other Korean kingdom of Shilla. After Goguryeo was destroyed, Shilla attacked and pushed the Chinese out of Korea. Shilla became a tributary which was fine for both sides.
China collapsed again in the 10th century and then eventually fell to the Mongols as did the Koreans. Then the Ming came along and tried to conquer Vietnam with 500,000 soldiers but was unsuccessful. The Mongols never even conquered Vietnam. They are a tough nut to crack. Ask the French, Americans, and Japanese too.

Jake10

Ad Honoris
Oct 2010
Canada

The whole time that China occupied Vietnam they faced fierce resistance. The Vietnamese made it clear they opposed Chinese or any other rule in the past. There is no reason for that to change.

pablo668

Ad Honorem
Apr 2010
Perth, Western Australia. or....hickville.

Yeah I think there comes a time and place for every great empire when it's better off for them to make a neighbouring state a tributary or just strongly influence them.
Then as now you have to look at return vs effort in your involvement with other countries.
I'm not so sure there was that much in the way of wealth resources to be had from either Korea or Vietnam considering the effort needed to subdue the places. Especially in the case of Vietnamese resistance.

As far as being completely different or original countries, at least where Vietnam is concerned, I thought that the Vietnamese were racially of Chinese stock, Chinese that migrated there a loooong time ago. They do share a lot of customs with the Chinese as do many countries in the region.

Just saying

Dec 2009

A more appropriate question would be, why are Tibet and Eastern Turkestan a part of China today?
Mostly because they were not annexed by the British India and the USSR, respectively.

Sep 2006
Korea (but I'm American!)

Yeah I think there comes a time and place for every great empire when it's better off for them to make a neighbouring state a tributary or just strongly influence them.
Then as now you have to look at return vs effort in your involvement with other countries.
I'm not so sure there was that much in the way of wealth resources to be had from either Korea or Vietnam considering the effort needed to subdue the places. Especially in the case of Vietnamese resistance.

As far as being completely different or original countries, at least where Vietnam is concerned, I thought that the Vietnamese were racially of Chinese stock, Chinese that migrated there a loooong time ago. They do share a lot of customs with the Chinese as do many countries in the region.

Just saying
The Share customs with China because of geographic proximity, China's various Hegemonic empires, China's various conquests and tributary relationships with them, and because China is a big chunk of territory next door.
Vietnamese are not of the same racial stock as China. Koreans and Japanese are different from one another as well as different from Chinese.
Of course, North and South Chinese are different too.