Tombstone on Hitler's parents' Grave Removed from Austrian Cemetery

tjadams

Ad Honoris
Mar 2009
Texas
Tombstone on Hitler's parents' grave removed from Austrian cemetery

VIENNA -- The tombstone marking the grave of Adolf Hitler's parents, a place of pilgrimage for neo-Nazis, has been removed from an upper Austrian village cemetery at the request of a descendant, and the grave is now available to receive new mortal remains, officials said Friday.
Walter Brunner, mayor of Leonding village, said the stone with the faded black and white portrait photos of Alois and Klara Hitler was taken down Wednesday. Village priest Kurt Pitterschatscher said the rented grave was ready for a new lease. Asked whether he would have trouble persuading people to let their loved ones share a grave with the parents of a man whose name is a universal epitome of evil, Pitterschatscher said, "I really haven't thought about it."
World News - Tombstone on Hitler's parents' grave removed from Austrian cemetery

May 2011
Bärlin, Germany
I'm suprised the grave was actually still maintained, usually the license runs out after 30 years if you don't renew it, at least that's how it is around here no idea about Austria really.
Well well.

Aug 2010
Ireland
so wait are the bodies still there or will they be moved and who is this descendant they mentioned, must be someone on the mothers side as there's hardly a Mr hitler walking around somewhere now

bartieboy

Ad Honorem
Dec 2010
The Netherlands
so wait are the bodies still there or will they be moved and who is this descendant they mentioned, must be someone on the mothers side as there's hardly a Mr hitler walking around somewhere now
After this time the bodies have decayed and only some bones are left... those will probably be destroyed

Oct 2011
Gwendraeth Valley, Carmarthenshire, Wales.
I'm suprised the grave was actually still maintained, usually the license runs out after 30 years if you don't renew it, at least that's how it is around here no idea about Austria really.
Well well.
Does the 30 year licence renewal law apply to Bavaria as well Stephy? I was in Berchesgaden in June 2010 and was surprised to see so-called Hitler's mentor Dietrich Eckart's grave, still well kept and cared for like all the others there, in the local cemetery.

Belloc

Ad Honorem
Mar 2010
USA
I think they could be descendents of Hitler's sister, including his nephew William Hitler who actually served in the US Army during WWII.

IMO - this is just silly, leave the gravesite alone.

Similar History Discussions