TOP 10 Greatest English Monarchs.

Bart Dale

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
I agree with most of your list, although I think that Queen Victoria, as the longest reigning British monarch, should have been somewhere on the list, especially since she ruled the British Empire while it was at its height.

Quen Victoria was no more an ''English monarch than Suliman the Magnificent was.
She was a BNritish Monarch and since 1603 when the English monarchy became as extinct as the Dodo bird when Elizabeth 1st of England died ''England ''has never had an individual King or QueenAll Kings and Queens since 1603 have been British monarchs
So the only monarchs who qualify for your poll are English Kings and Queens BEFORE 1603.

Dec 2011
UK
Quen Victoria was no more an ''English monarch than Suliman the Magnificent was.
She was a BNritish Monarch and since 1603 when the English monarchy became as extinct as the Dodo bird when Elizabeth 1st of England died ''England ''has never had an individual King or QueenAll Kings and Queens since 1603 have been British monarchs
So the only monarchs who qualify for your poll are English Kings and Queens BEFORE 1603.
That's just a legal technicality, though. England annexed Scotland (in 1707).

Dec 2011
North Carolina
So William and Mary should be ignored? They agreed to the Enlightenment principles that established modern British politics. They embraced the idea of protecting life, liberty, and property far more than any of their predecessors, so I would certainly put them high on any list. Henry II also deserves a lot of credit for the important role he played in shaping Common Law. Richard the Lionheart was interested in the Crusades and not governing England. He considered selling London!

Similar History Discussions