TOP 10 Greatest English Monarchs.

Dec 2011
UK
If there is no doubt then you wont have too much difficulty providing a source to back it up with.
When the Scottish parliament passed a law stating that the succession would go to someone other that the English monarch, Queen Anne deliberately stymied the workings of the Scottish government. The English imposed massive import and export taxes, and brought Scotland to bankruptcy. In modern corporate parlance, it was a hostile takeover.

Aug 2010
Wales
When the Scottish parliament passed a law stating that the succession would go to someone other that the English monarch, Queen Anne deliberately stymied the workings of the Scottish government. The English imposed massive import and export taxes, and brought Scotland to bankruptcy. In modern corporate parlance, it was a hostile takeover.

Source?

Feb 2011
Cumbernauld Scotland
Henry VII through his mothers line (the Beaufort's going back to John of Gaunt) descended from Edward III
Was there not closer relatives oh I forgot England got its King by battle.:crying::eek: whether the people wanted him on not:eek: Well I am sure England must have been proud of Henry VII and his product Henry VIII. I sit in Scotland and laugh at the fact you can think these people were good monarchs.:lol: But now brought them up the road you all have had a good laugh at us.:sad:

Von Ranke

Ad Honorem
Nov 2011
Thistleland
There's no doubt it would have come, had the Scots rejected the Hanoverian succession.
You might have noticed that many Scots did reject the Hanoverian succession hence the 1715 and 1745 rebellions. The point is that England never seriously tried to annex Scotland after the defeat at Bannockburn in 1314 and the Treaty of Edinburgh in 1328 which fully recognised Scots sovereignity. What they could not achieve by force of arms they gained by bribery which the Scottish governing class were only to happy to accept. To paint a scenario where Scotland would have been invaded and annexed had they not accepted the Hanoverian succession is speculative and a wrong headed way of looking at history.

Dec 2011
UK
You might have noticed that many Scots did reject the Hanoverian succession hence the 1715 and 1745 rebellions. The point is that England never seriously tried to annex Scotland after the defeat at Bannockburn in 1314 and the Treaty of Edinburgh in 1328 which fully recognised Scots sovereignity. What they could not achieve by force of arms they gained by bribery which the Scottish governing class were only to happy to accept. To paint a scenario where Scotland would have been invaded and annexed had they not accepted the Hanoverian succession is speculative and a wrong headed way of looking at history.
The English didn't need to, that was the whole point. They simply bankrupted it instead. What you can't achieve by force of arms you achieve some other way.

Aug 2010
Wales
Was there not closer relatives oh I forgot England got its King by battle.:crying::eek: whether the people wanted him on not:eek: Well I am sure England must have been proud of Henry VII and his product Henry VIII. I sit in Scotland and laugh at the fact you can think these people were good monarchs.:lol: But now brought them up the road you all have had a good laugh at us.:sad:

Perhaps you would like to say why you think they are bad monarchs.

I really dont know if there were closer and better candidates, yet Henry VII won, and victors write the history. Do you consider James VI/I to be a good monarch? Mary Queen of Scots?

Von Ranke

Ad Honorem
Nov 2011
Thistleland
The English didn't need to, that was the whole point. They simply bankrupted it instead. What you can't achieve by force of arms you achieve some other way.
If by that you mean that England put every possible obstacle in the way of the Scots creating a trading post at Darrien then I have no argument with you there. The idea was good but the advice of a sea captain who painted the place as a virtual paradise should have been taken with a good pinch of salt. We Scots have always been our own worst enemies especially when it comes to making an easy buck. :)

Similar History Discussions