TOP 10 Greatest English Monarchs.

Von Ranke

Ad Honorem
Nov 2011
Thistleland
Do you consider James VI/I to be a good monarch? Mary Queen of Scots?
Mary made a real mess of her time as ruler in Scotland but James V1 and 1 was a half decent king he managed to overcome being kidnapped six times during his minority and made his way to the English crown in 1603 despite numerous obstacles. He is not rated by many as he was never a warrior king but he had the nouse to prevent England from getting entangled in the Thirty Years War.

Feb 2011
Cumbernauld Scotland
Perhaps you would like to say why you think they are bad monarchs.

I really don't know if there were closer and better candidates, yet Henry VII won, and victors write the history. Do you consider James VI/I to be a good monarch? Mary Queen of Scots?
I could go further with this, but I think in my own humble opinion that Mary Queen of Scots was a victim of the times she lived in. I am not an expert in this field in history but I do know someone that has a personal interest in Mary queen of Scots. I must try an introduce her to this forum as she has a lot of insight about her life. As for James VI/ I that's very interesting:eek: Was he the true child of Mary Queen of Scots and Lord Darnley or what ever his name was.

Aug 2010
Wales
I could go further with this, but I think in my own humble opinion that Mary Queen of Scots was a victim of the times she lived in. I am not an expert in this field in history but I do know someone that has a personal interest in Mary queen of Scots. I must try an introduce her to this forum as she has a lot of insight about her life. As for James VI/ I that's very interesting:eek: Was he the true child of Mary Queen of Scots and Lord Darnley or what ever his name was.

So why do you laugh at people who think they are good monarchs then?

Von Ranke

Ad Honorem
Nov 2011
Thistleland
The wisest fool in Christendom
Apparently. That was attributed to Henry 1V of France. In actual fact James was a prolific writer producing ' The True Law of Free Monarchies ' 'Basilikon Doron' Greek for royal gift, as well as pamphlets on Witchcraft and Smoking. In my view he has been given a bad press by historians but then again I did my thesis on him. :)

Dec 2011
Hertfordshire
I'm not a fan of Richard I, simply because he engaged in pointless wars that ruined the country, and England was probably lucky he died when he did....

I would say the same for Henry V, and I would probably omit him from that list, which by and large, I think is a good one. I would also omit Charles II - what did he really do, aside from make merry, and have a lot of affairs?

I wouldn't include anyone from George I onwards, simply because I think they had less power than their prime ministers, including Queen Vic.

I would probably have added William III and Henry I, and I agree about Edward Longshanks - promote him up the order....

But instead of Greatest English Monarchs, it might be better to say Greatest Monarchs of England....
:)

Similar History Discussions