TOP 10 Greatest English Monarchs.

Mar 2014
Canterbury
Richard the Lionheart fully deserves to be in the top ten. People judge him thinking he was King of England, totally forgetting he was ruler of the much bigger Angevin Empire, and that a crusading war-hero was about the best thing a monarch could be in that age - and Richard was top of the lot.

Henry I, Henry II, William Rufus, James I, Aethelstan, Cnut, and Harold II are all really underrated or glossed over. The Conqueror's very overrated, stealing a lot of the late Saxons' thunder. John gets too bad a rep: if he was successful, he'd have outshone his brother as a glorious war-hero and financial manager extraordinaire. And what's a little tyranny among monarchs?

Last edited:
Feb 2019
California
Quen Victoria was no more an ''English monarch than Suliman the Magnificent was.
She was a BNritish Monarch and since 1603 when the English monarchy became as extinct as the Dodo bird when Elizabeth 1st of England died ''England ''has never had an individual King or QueenAll Kings and Queens since 1603 have been British monarchs
So the only monarchs who qualify for your poll are English Kings and Queens BEFORE 1603.[/QUOTE

This is not correct.

Willempie

Ad Honorem
Jul 2015
Netherlands
Richard the Lionheart fully deserves to be in the top ten. People judge him thinking he was King of England, totally forgetting he was ruler of the much bigger Angevin Empire, and that a crusading war-hero was about the best thing a monarch could be in that age - and Richard was top of the lot.
Hmm. Taxed the hell out of his kingdom in order to finance a crusade together with his arch-enemy, who subsequently left the crusade to stir up trouble. Then gets himself captured and again needs to tax the hell out of everyone. After that he got himself killed in a siege of a castle that had less defenses than the armed forces of Disneyland.
Oh and he incited anti-Jewish violence upon his coronation, but since that wasn't really an exception in those days.

Real stellar kingship material.

Feb 2019
California
Hmm. Taxed the hell out of his kingdom in order to finance a crusade together with his arch-enemy, who subsequently left the crusade to stir up trouble. Then gets himself captured and again needs to tax the hell out of everyone. After that he got himself killed in a siege of a castle that had less defenses than the armed forces of Disneyland.
Oh and he incited anti-Jewish violence upon his coronation, but since that wasn't really an exception in those days.

Real stellar kingship material.
Getting himself captured was incredibly irresponsible. Great warrior, but otherwise basically an overgrown boy.....

Willempie

Ad Honorem
Jul 2015
Netherlands
Getting himself captured was incredibly irresponsible. Great warrior, but otherwise basically an overgrown boy.....
I wouldn't call him a great warrior either. He certainly didn't have anything on his contemporary Barbarossa.
And Eddy 1 and 3, Willy 1 and 3, Henry 2 and 5, Cnut were certainly better commanders anyway.

Mar 2016
Australia
I'm gonna stick strictly to monarchs that reigned while England was an official, separate (i.e. before the Acts of Union) kingdom, so from King Athelstan to Queen Anne.

1. Edward I (r. 1272 - 1307)
2. Henry II (r. 1154 - 1187)
3. Henry VII (r. 1485 - 1509)
4. Elizabeth I (r. 1558 - 1603)
5. Edward III (r. 1327 - 1377)
6. Athelstan (r. 924 - 939)
7. Charles II (r. 1660 - 1685)
8. Henry V (r. 1413 - 1422)
9. James I (r. 1603 - 1625)
10. Henry I (r. 1100 - 1135)

Jun 2015
UK