Top 10 Greek Generals of the Classical Period

Sep 2019
Vergina
Top 10 Greek Generals of the Classical Period

Inspired by @DiocletianIsBetterThanYou thread on Roman generals. Who are your top ten Greek generals of the Classical period? My list below in rough time order. Anyone from Persian Wars to the death of Alexander the Great is permitted.

Themistocles
Leotychidas
Thrasybulus
Lysander
Epaminondas
Agesilaus II
Onomarchus
Philip II
Memnon of Rhodes
Alexander the Great

Last edited:
Oct 2018
Sydney
Like yours, I'll do mine in chronological order:

Themistocles
Cimon
Alcibiades
Xenophon
Dionysius I
Agesilaus II
Iphicrates
Epaminondas
Philip II
Alexander the Great

I appear to have a pro-Athenian bias! That said, the Athenians listed strike me as strong picks. And Iphicrates tends to be underrated because, despite his renowned tactical prowess, he played a lesser role in the grand narratives of history (with the exception of his infantry reforms, which were a precursor to what Philip did with the Macedonians).

I'm also a fan of Syracuse, thus my inclusion of Dionysius. Gelon and Timoleon perhaps would have been decent Syracusan picks, for the victories at Himera and Crimissus respectively, but they didn't match Dionysius in terms of empire-building or longevity. Agathocles would have been a tempting alternative pick, but he reigned outside the time period.

Last edited:

At Each Kilometer

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
Bulgaria
As we can see from above Greek names with ending in -os that are translated into Latin by using -us ending are not few. Some -os like in the names of famous father and son are completely ignored so we have Lysander instead of Lysandros for example. I am not playing grammar, er, spartan here, their Latin names are ok normally, but this is a thread dedicated to classical period Greek generals, so please have pity on them, heh.

Last edited:
Oct 2018
Sydney
As we can see from above Greek names with ending in -os that are translated into Latin by using -us ending are not few. Some -os like in the the names of famous father and son are completely ignored so we have Lysander instead of Lysandros for example. I am not playing grammar, er, spartan here, their Latin names are ok normally, but this is a thread dedicated to classical period Greek generals, so please have pity on them, heh.
I considered doing it, but decided that if I were to write the names in a Graecized manner I would also replace instances of 'c' with 'k', and I wasn't willing to go down that path!

Reactions: At Each Kilometer

At Each Kilometer

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
Bulgaria
I considered doing it, but decided that if I were to write the names in a Graecized manner I would also replace instances of 'c' with 'k', and I wasn't willing to go down that path!
Yes, tough job. Romans didnt like K letter much. A few words about φ into ph transliteration. Letter φ in ancient Greek stood for the aspirated p sound / meaning pronunciation of h sound after p. In modern Greek it is f sound, i have seen written with F in other languages that used latin alphabet for example Nikeforos, but ph is quite correct.

Oct 2018
Sydney
Yes, tough job. Romans didnt like K letter much. A few words about φ into ph transliteration. Letter φ in ancient Greek stood for the aspirated p sound / meaning pronunciation of h sound after p. In modern Greek it is f sound, i have seen written with F in other languages that used latin alphabet for example Nikeforos, but ph is quite correct.
True. The issue of names is interesting. We get it a bit with Roman names too. For example, scholars will usually faithfully record the names of ordinary Romans, but for some reason we now have a convention whereby certain important Romans of the Republic and most Roman emperors don't receive the same treatment: Pompeius becomes Pompey, Antonius becomes Antony, Diocletianus becomes Diocletian, and Constantinus become Constantine.

Sep 2019
Vergina
As we can see from above Greek names with ending in -os that are translated into Latin by using -us ending are not few. Some -os like in the names of famous father and son are completely ignored so we have Lysander instead of Lysandros for example. I am not playing grammar, er, spartan here, their Latin names are ok normally, but this is a thread dedicated to classical period Greek generals, so please have pity on them, heh.
Good point, i'd edit my list if I could.