Career Guidance Top 5 most regretted majors(history is one of them)

Jun 2018
Philadelphia, PA
Likely because pursuing your phD means spending more time in school, and spending more time in school means losing more money to school. It can be difficult to pay for your education following your bachelor's degree where people care much less if you obtain more education or not.

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Brassicaland
Likely because pursuing your phD means spending more time in school, and spending more time in school means losing more money to school. It can be difficult to pay for your education following your bachelor's degree where people care much less if you obtain more education or not.
Even a PhD is no Super Education.

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Brassicaland
No matter what we do, current education is dependent on our "innate" intelligence and personalities.
What if intelligence and favourable personality traits are commodities?
This idea is from a short story by Liu Cixin (劉慈欣) callled "Wages of Humanity" (贍養人類).
It is call 超等教育 in Chinese; let's call it transcendent education.
In the future, it is possible to install a supercomputer inside a human; it not only has the memory capacity for almost all human knowledge, it is a thought enhancer that extends scope, aesthetic tastes, and almost any favourable personality traits.
A common human is almost a dog in comparison with such a person.

We are far from transcendent education for the moment.

Mar 2012
Magdeburg
I do personally regret having my major in Logistics instead of History/Archeology!
My decision was greatly influenced by my father who advised me to "Study something that wont make you starve", which made me look for another interests. At the mo. im doing my master's degree and i do really regret my earlier decisions. Anyway a good perk to be in continental europe means that universities are free thus we are allowed to pursue a second degree without much problem.

Jun 2017
Marblehead, MA
The number of History majors has dropped dramatically in the U.S. In a recent article The Vanishing History Major., in 2008 there were 34,642 history degree conferred, today that number is 24,266. The drop is even steeper when you consider that enrollments in university has grown. Today's students lean toward STEM subjects (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics). When I went to college, many years ago we were told to major in something you love and use your college years to find yourself. Today's tuition's are so high that students are encouraged to major in financially lucrative fields. I recently read a letter to the editor of a newspaper where someone wrote "if you are thinking of majoring in history, save your money and get a library card instead." Having said all this, my history degree has served me well. I spent 24 years in sales and marketing and 20 years in teaching. the study of history provided me with the ability to read, research, and articulate.

Sep 2014
Texas
I was told in college that history was saved for coaches.
I also asked a friend of mine who was majoring in philosophy what kind of job could he get. He answered Fry Cook.

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Brassicaland
I do personally regret having my major in Logistics instead of History/Archeology!
My decision was greatly influenced by my father who advised me to "Study something that wont make you starve", which made me look for another interests. At the mo. im doing my master's degree and i do really regret my earlier decisions. Anyway a good perk to be in continental europe means that universities are free thus we are allowed to pursue a second degree without much problem.
Life is a continuum and it is filled with trials and errors; even mistakes and frittering are often valuable lessons.