top books on the fall of france?

Feb 2017
australia
this may be the wrong place to ask but this looks a promising site.
I'm after some books on the fall of france, not just the military movements but the political and social events that contributed to it. length doesn't scare me just let me know if I need a wheelbarrow

Mar 2015
Yorkshire
Several Wheelbarrows.

Start with the Classic - To Lose a Battle, France 1940 by Alistair Horne (published 1969, reissued 2007)

Second hand paperback versions are now fairly cheap to obtain.

Oct 2016
Merryland
"Sixty Days that Shook the West" Benoist-Melchin sort of a timeline

"Collapse of the Third Republic" Shirer more in-depth with the events leading up to invasion and surrender. Shirer was sort of a leftist and his political stuff shows this

Mar 2015
Yorkshire
"Sixty Days that Shook the West" Benoist-Melchin sort of a timeline

"Collapse of the Third Republic" Shirer more in-depth with the events leading up to invasion and surrender. Shirer was sort of a leftist and his political stuff shows this

Hmm - Shirer a leftist? I would question that. The book is excellent as it gives a first hand account.

Benoit-Mechin is anti-Semitic, a fascist, maybe even a traitor, with great sympathy for Nazi Germany. I have seen his book decried on French websites since he appears to be economical with the truth and prone to invention. Still, since I have not read the book, I have just ordered it.

rvsakhadeo

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
India
A few posters have already indicated ' The Collapse of the Third Republic ' by William Shirer. It is an excellent book, written in that racy style he was famous for. Highly recommended.

Dec 2016
India
Alistair Horne - To lose a battle
The Blitzkrieg Legend - Karl heinz freiser
The fall of France -Julian Jackson

Nov 2015
Bye, bye
Doubtless, one of the best books on this subject.
Vaisse, Maurice / Henninger, Laurent: "Mai-Juin 40: Défaite francaise, victoire allemande, sous l'oeuil des historiens etrangers" (2010)
("May-June 40: French defeat, German victory, under the Eye of Foreign Historians").
A brilliant analysis from a remarkable military study of 1990 documented with works of eminent experts.
i don't know if an English version exist.