Top Ten Presidents

Sep 2006
Korea (but I'm American!)
What was James Polk known for? He is often one of the forgetten Presidents when people try to name them.
James K Polk was President during the Mexican War. He also solved the boundary dispute in Oregon with Great Britian. Because of him, the United States added another 1/4-1/3 of territory. It also meant the end of Mexico as a potential rival in North America, thus pretty much guaranteeing that the US would be the dominant force in the Western Hemisphere. He was also a very hard worker. He is said to have accomplished more in his 1 term than any other President. He would often work late into the night. He decided not to run for another term because he had accomplished everything he wanted to. You'll notice that among the Great and Near Great, he's the only one that didn't serve another term.

Jul 2006
Bemidji, Minnesota
I think Reagan and Wilson are easily the two most overrated Americans in the history of the country.

Jul 2006
Hellas
I think Reagan and Wilson are easily the two most overrated Americans in the history of the country.
For Reagan i will agree, for Wilson i have my reservations because actually he decided the participation of US in WW I and tipped decisively the scale in favor of the Allies, so he made a decision and won, thus putting US in the position of a World power.
As much i have read :
1. Franklin Roosevelt, took a bankrupted US and rebuild it with his "New Deal", won WW II, and the fact that he elected 4 times in a row tells me many things.
2. Abraham Lincoln, he made today US a reality.
3. George Washington and Tomas Jefferson who build the foundations of that country.
4. JFK, as a man that i believe had the will to make the world better.

Personally ,without to be a great president, i liked Bill Clinton.

Jul 2006
Bemidji, Minnesota
I don't know, I'd say that the United States was already a world power well before World War 1, in the case of the Spanish-American War and such. The main reason I don't like Wilson is that he was huge racist and the laws he passed during World War 1 infringed on freedom of speech to the point of insanity. Especially when he would do stuff like throw political rival, Eugene V. Debs in prison merely for suggesting that the US entered World War 1 for economic reasons.

Apr 2007
I'm not too sure that the US was such a world power prior to WWI; it was stirring things up during the Spanish - American War and confirmed that it was definitely an aggressive power, as that was a totally unprovoked war, but it was never taken seriously on the world stage until the First World War from what I gather.

Apr 2007
Can I ask why Reagan and Andrew Jackson are on the top 10 list? Don't you think John Adams deserves a spot on that list above Reagan?
These are question I was wondering as well, and I definitely see a place for John Adams on that list in lieu of Jackson. Adams was a crank, but his vision for the country shouldn't be overlooked.

Feb 2007
Ohio
I'm not too sure that the US was such a world power prior to WWI; it was stirring things up during the Spanish - American War.
The American victory in the Spanish-American War evicted the last European power from the Western Hemisphere and also marked the emergence of the United States as a rising naval power with both an Atlantic fleet and a Pacific fleet.

Feb 2007
Ohio
You'll notice that among the Great and Near Great, he [James K Polk] was the only one that didn't serve another term.
You'll also notice that amongst the Below Average and Failures, Ulysses S. Grant and Richard M. Nixon were the only two elected to a second term.

Jul 2007
y is lBJ even close to avg. he esclated vietnam, did verry little for the civilrights movement, and wasnt even voted in office...