Tournai (Belgium): medieval bridge destroyed (13th century)

Tulun

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Western Eurasia
Seeing the picture and the title I would totally agree with you, it is a shame. However reading the full article, as I undestrand most of the bridge was already partly destroyed in ww2 and they are actually destroying that rebuilt and widened bridge made in 1947. "only" the two towers are still original. Considering this, if they rebuild it again with an even wider arch, but preserving the original parts and the historic design, I see it a little less of a tragedy.. :rolleyes:

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
Let's clarify a bit things.

This is the bridge in 1946:

At the time, it was already a heated discussion on it's reconstruction, as already the bridge was limiting the size of the barges.

Three solutions were proposed:
- deviating the Escaut (thus rebuilding the bridge identically)
- uniting two arches (eliminating one of the pilars)
- rebuilding it following the original design, but higher.

The third solution was chosen. The reconstruction of the bridge wasn't exactly a restauration : thé interior was made of concrete (following modern technic of the time) only the exterior was made to match the old look.

Normally, if we're to be accurate, the bridge that is today dismantled is a replica of the gothic bridge, it isn't the restaured gothic bridge.

So, Marie-Christine's comment "...Prima facie, I obviously don’t see any numbered stone ..." is either ignorance either a political stance.

IMO, if we're to discuss the matter, we should do it on that base: "Built between 1281 and 1304, the Pont des Trous is one of only three remaining 13th-century military bridges in the world. it's not exactly the truth.

Last edited:
Reactions: Frank81

Willempie

Ad Honorem
Jul 2015
Netherlands
Are you sure it is medieval? looks like regular Belgian bridge to my eyes,

Frank81

Ad Honorem
Feb 2010
Canary Islands-Spain

IMO, if we're to discuss the matter, we should do it on that base: "Built between 1281 and 1304, the Pont des Trous is one of only three remaining 13th-century military bridges in the world. it's not exactly the truth.

Thanks a lot for this info, the idea was terrible for me. Is for sure the original part of the bridge will be kept?

Frank81

Ad Honorem
Feb 2010
Canary Islands-Spain

This is the bridge in 1946:

At the time, it was already a heated discussion on it's reconstruction, as already the bridge was limiting the size of the barges.

Three solutions were proposed:
- deviating the Escaut (thus rebuilding the bridge identically)
- uniting two arches (eliminating one of the pilars)
- rebuilding it following the original design, but higher.

The third solution was chosen. The reconstruction of the bridge wasn't exactly a restauration : thé interior was made of concrete (following modern technic of the time) only the exterior was made to match the old look.

Normally, if we're to be accurate, the bridge that is today dismantled is a replica of the gothic bridge, it isn't the restaured gothic bridge.

So, Marie-Christine's comment "...Prima facie, I obviously don’t see any numbered stone ..." is either ignorance either a political stance.

Deaf tuner, do you think the original part is being respected?

https://webfiles.notele.be/publication_pictures/66391-QXJjaGUyLmpwZw==.jpg

Last edited:

Frank81

Ad Honorem
Feb 2010
Canary Islands-Spain
Guys, just the central arch of the bridge was damaged and rebuilt in the 20th century

If I'm correct, the two lateral archs were medieval. At least one of them has been destroyed

Frank81

Ad Honorem
Feb 2010
Canary Islands-Spain
OMG after WWII they demolished al the archs, so presently they are post-1945 building

FB_IMG_1565117160593.jpg