Trafalgar, bloodiest sea battle of 19th Century?

SPERRO

Ad Honorem
Mar 2011
North East England
This battle was a great victory, but was it the bloodiest battle of the century?

JC

srb7677

Ad Honorem
Dec 2010
Plymouth,UK
I`m not sure of worldwide, but Trafalgar was I think certainly Britain`s (and France`s) bloodiest naval battle of the nineteenth century. Trafalgar was also one of the two most crucial naval battles in British history, the other being the defeat of the Spanish Armada.

SPERRO

Ad Honorem
Mar 2011
North East England
I`m not sure of worldwide, but Trafalgar was I think certainly Britain`s (and France`s) bloodiest naval battle of the nineteenth century. Trafalgar was also one of the two most crucial naval battles in British history, the other being the defeat of the Spanish Armada.
Would you say that it was descisive?

Kevinmeath

Ad Honoris
May 2011
Navan, Ireland
Are we restricted to fleet actions or do smaller battles count?
Is this a Napoleonic question or beyond?

pikeshot1600

Ad Honorem
Jul 2009
This battle was a great victory, but was it the bloodiest battle of the century?

JC
There were not many sea battles in the 19th century.

Trafalgar was not decisive in winning the conflict against Napoleonic France, but it was decisive in eliminating competition for the Royal Navy for the rest of the century.

Last edited:

SPERRO

Ad Honorem
Mar 2011
North East England
There were not many sea battles in the 19th century.

Trafalgar was not decisive in winning the conflict against Napoleonic France, but it was decisive in eliminating competition for the Royal Navy for the rest opf the century.
What about Cape st Vincent, The Nile or Copenhagen?

Kevinmeath

Ad Honoris
May 2011
Navan, Ireland
According to Brian Lavery in his book 'Nelsons Navy' states that Trafalagar had the worse 'butchers bill' 449 killed 1241 wounded. Cape St Vincent was the lightest 73 killed and 227 wounded. He claims that British casualties compared to 'enemy' was about 6 to 1.

Cresent v reunion, Revolutioaire v Unite, Indefatigable v Virginie and Unicorn v Tribune all single ship actions saw a British victory with no loss of life. (How many wounded died later is not recorded).

Kevinmeath

Ad Honoris
May 2011
Navan, Ireland
Trafalgar was not decisive in winning the conflict against Napoleonic France, but it was decisive in eliminating competition for the Royal Navy for the rest opf the century.
Thats a fair point, it meant that Britain was free from the trhreat from invasion and dominated the worlds oceans.

SPERRO

Ad Honorem
Mar 2011
North East England
According to Brian Lavery in his book 'Nelsons Navy' states that Trafalagar had the worse 'butchers bill' 449 killed 1241 wounded. Cape St Vincent was the lightest 73 killed and 227 wounded. He claims that British casualties compared to 'enemy' was about 6 to 1.

Cresent v reunion, Revolutioaire v Unite, Indefatigable v Virginie and Unicorn v Tribune all single ship actions saw a British victory with no loss of life. (How many wounded died later is not recorded).
Iam quite suprised at the casualty list, I thought it would have higher.