Translating Ancient Greek Words

Feb 2012
Portugal
Understanding the difficulties related with translators of ancient languages due to the lack of enough samples and the incredible amount of words of what might be called Ancient Greek but is there any online translator of Ancient Greek that includes Homeric/Bardic Greek and conjugated and declined words? There is a very fine app but it doesn't contain declensions and conjugated verbs.
Thanks.

Solidaire

Ad Honorem
Aug 2009
Athens, Greece
This might be exactly what you're looking for, the problem is that it translates ancient (and Homeric) Greek to modern Greek, not to English. The first link translates verbs and their various forms, the second is a general translator. If I come up with something better, I'll let you know. Good luck, and congratulations for your thirst for knowledge. :)

Αποτελέσματα για: "Α"

Feb 2012
Portugal
This might be exactly what you're looking for, the problem is that it translates ancient (and Homeric) Greek to modern Greek, not to English. The first link translates verbs and their various forms, the second is a general translator. If I come up with something better, I'll let you know. Good luck, and congratulations for your thirst for knowledge. :)

Ωραια! Ευχαριστώ πολύ! Thank you very much! From modern Greek it is easier to translate and this way may study both.

Aug 2010
Wessex
I don't see the point of this, one either learns enough of the language to be able to read it in the original, or relies on translations; and the fact is that almost eveything worth reading in ancient Greek has been translated into English (although it also helpful if you can read French), and if your mastery of the language is limited, you can read texts with a parallel translation in the Loeb series or elsewhere, which is also a very good way to improve your understanding of the original. Machine translations are almost invariably crappy and should be avoided except in emergency.

Solidaire

Ad Honorem
Aug 2009
Athens, Greece
For Modern Greek use mostly google translator and for Ancient the pocket Oxford Classical Greek, an app called Greek Reference and for verbs conjugation Νεο Λεξικο .
Try this one:
Henry George Liddell, Robert Scott, A Greek-English Lexicon, Α α,

It can be a valuable tool for translating Greek texts, and it also contains various other capabilities (Latin for example) and ancient texts.

A simpler translator of modern languages is wordreference, which I find to be relatively accurate (as far as Greek is concerned). Often the ancient Greek word and the relative modern one are identical or very similar. Greek has to be one of the most conservative languages in the world, which makes it easier to study it in its various forms through time.
English to French, Italian, German & Spanish Dictionary - WordReference.com

Solidaire

Ad Honorem
Aug 2009
Athens, Greece
I don't see the point of this, one either learns enough of the language to be able to read it in the original, or relies on translations; and the fact is that almost eveything worth reading in ancient Greek has been translated into English (although it also helpful if you can read French), and if your mastery of the language is limited, you can read texts with a parallel translation in the Loeb series or elsewhere, which is also a very good way to improve your understanding of the original. Machine translations are almost invariably crappy and should be avoided except in emergency.
What if one wants to understand the meaning of specific words or short texts? I agree about machine translations, but what do you think about the lexicons that I mentioned above? Are you familiar with them? I ask you because I know you are well-educated in this field and I value your opinion.

Feb 2012
Portugal
Try this one:
Henry George Liddell, Robert Scott, A Greek-English Lexicon, Α α,

It can be a valuable tool for translating Greek texts, and it also contains various other capabilities (Latin for example) and ancient texts.

A simpler translator of modern languages is wordreference, which I find to be relatively accurate (as far as Greek is concerned). Often the ancient Greek word and the relative modern one are identical or very similar. Greek has to be one of the most conservative languages in the world, which makes it easier to study it in its various forms through time.
English to French, Italian, German & Spanish Dictionary - WordReference.com
Thanks again the problem with Perseus is when you put the Greek word it comes out with strange symbols.

Last edited:
Feb 2012
Portugal
Agreed this was just a problem of wanting to antecipate too much and understand and translate Parmenides' poem first paragraph. The app "Greek Reference" is better than dictionaries. And besides the only way to learn is to practice.

Last edited:

Similar History Discussions