Ad Honorem
Aug 2009
Athens, Greece
Feb 2012
Portugal
Last edited:
Aug 2010
Wessex
What if one wants to understand the meaning of specific words or short texts? I agree about machine translations, but what do you think about the lexicons that I mentioned above? Are you familiar with them? I ask you because I know you are well-educated in this field and I value your opinion.
I usually use the big Liddell and Scott, and it's wonderful that it can be consulted on line as you show! I don't know the other resources that you mention, I will have a look at them. And just look at all this, even glossaries of Greek birds: Ancient Greek Dictionary Online Translation LEXILOGOS >>

On the first point, for specific words, if looking them up online, I would tend to use a dictionary rather than an automatic resource (except as a short cut if I were in a hurry), bcecause that will give the full range of meaning, and one will learn something from the very process of consulting it; and with short texts, again better to take the trouble to look for a translation, and old translations even of quite obscure texts can usually be found online if one takes the trouble.

I am working on something at the moment in which I have to consult matter in languages that I don't know well, and in a couple of cases don't know at all: and that has really made me appreciate the difficulties of working with machine translations, and the surreal results that they often produce. For a language that one knows badly, it can be useful to get a machine translation and then make better sense of the text by revising that translation with the help of a proper dictionary (and perhaps other aids); but in the case of ancient Greek (and Latin texts), there will almost always be a brain-generated translation somewhere that will provide a better start!

Solidaire

Ad Honorem
Aug 2009
Athens, Greece
I usually use the big Liddell and Scott, and it's wonderful that it can be consulted on line as you show! I don't know the other resources that you mention, I will have a look at them. And just look at all this, even glossaries of Greek birds: Ancient Greek Dictionary Online Translation LEXILOGOS >>
I had a look at that glossary (got me curious), the detail and work that went into it is just amazing. And all this just for the birds (no, no pun intended :) )

The first two links that I offered to our Portuguese friend are Greek translations of "An Index of Greek Verb Forms", Hildesheim & New York, 1970, by John J. Bodoh and of "An Intermediate Greek-English Lexicon", 1889, by none other than Henry George Liddell & Robert Scott.

I have the impression that the modern Greek adaptation of the Liddell and Scott lexicon is in some cases more detailed. Not sure though, I did only a hasty comparison.

Similar History Discussions