Treatment of collaborators

Menshevik

Ad Honorem
Dec 2012
The People's Republik of Kalifornia.
Feel free to chime in on the treatment of male collaborators, but just a for a moment I'd like to focus on female collaborators following WWII.

Were they generally all treated badly after the war?

The above picture is what I would typically expect would happen to female collaborators. But look at this video, it seemingly tells a tale of more benign proceedings. Fast forward to 2:32

And was harsh treatment warranted? Why or why not?

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
Having your head shaved hardly amounts to being treated badly compared with what happened to others. The head shaving seems to have been restricted to women who had German boyfriends, but did not otherwise with the Germans.

It is my understanding that in France and Italy at least, many of those considered serious collaborators were summarily shot by the resistance on liberation.

England's Channel Islands were also occupied.

The article linked below is worth reading;

"Details of the German occupation of the Channel Islands were disclosed yesterday, revealing evidence of islanders profiting from their neighbours' misery and the cruelty of the only concentration camp ever operated on British soil.

The last tranche of Channel Island documents, released yesterday at the Public Record Office, throw a harsh light on what the Germans called "the model occupation".

The files are largely transcripts of interrogations of escapees undertaken by MI19 the intelligence organisation charged with building up a picture of enemy resources and morale. They give lists of collaborators and "Jerrybags", island women who slept with German soldiers and frequently bore their children,."

Channel Island people profited from Nazis

Belgarion

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
Australia
While there were collaborators who deserved everything they got, I think many of the 'collaborators' were victims of personal vendettas rather than in bed (figuratively or literally) with the occupiers. After the real danger had passed there were many 'resistance' members come out of the woodwork eager to establish their patriotic credentials. Vulnerable men and women made an easy target for these 'patriots'

Feb 2016
Japan
The stripping, shaving and beating of women who had “relations” with German soldiers is shameful and embarrassing. Especially as it was done by the people who had failed to protect those women in the first place.
I suppose most allied soldiers thought is was harsh, but also thought it wasn’t their place to intervene.

I’d have smashed a rifle around a few civilian heads myself. “Next time, fight harder and they won’t need to sleep with the enemy to survive”.

That said, they got off lightly compared to actual collaborators... those who had helped the Germans, male or female, as they were shot or hung. Which is more understandable.. and probably correct.

Larrey

Ad Honorem
Sep 2011
Norwegian women who had married Germans during WWII were stripped of their Norwegian citizenship in 1945 (restored in 1955), and declared German citizens (by Norway, unclear if Germany was even aware), who should leave the country asap. Some 3000-5000 women were interned in some 40 camps around Norway. (Those were closed in 1946, after a visit by the responsible minister, who had spent part of WWII in a German concentration camp, and found the similarities too troubling.)

Norwegian men who had married German women were not so treated.

Menshevik

Ad Honorem
Dec 2012
The stripping, shaving and beating of women who had “relations” with German soldiers is shameful and embarrassing. Especially as it was done by the people who had failed to protect those women in the first place.
I suppose most allied soldiers thought is was harsh, but also thought it wasn’t their place to intervene.

I’d have smashed a rifle around a few civilian heads myself. “Next time, fight harder and they won’t need to sleep with the enemy to survive”.

That said, they got off lightly compared to actual collaborators... those who had helped the Germans, male or female, as they were shot or hung. Which is more understandable.. and probably correct.
Great points.

Maybe there's more to the story for many of these women, but if they're only being treated this way because they slept with a German soldier(s) then, yes, that is shameful.

Menshevik

Ad Honorem
Dec 2012
They are known as 'Quislings' for a reason....
What defines a quisling? What is the criteria for being considered a collaborator? I imagine there are varying levels of offense.

Was simply sleeping with a German soldier grounds for such a label?

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
Yep, it can get complicated.

"Sleeping with the enemy" (literally) was at the lower end of the scale.

Collaborators seen as traitors could be, and were often killed by the resistance or tried and hanged. after liberation.;

EG: The Irish-American William Joyce,:"Lord Haw Haw", who made radio broadcasts for the Nazis, was tried and hanged for treason..

There was Vidcun Quisling in Norway; he founded the Norwegian Fascist party and collaborated with the Nazis.

Marshall Philippe Petain was a French national hero from WW1 . He headed the puppet Vichy government. After the war, he was tried for treason and sentenced to death. Due to his advanced age, the sentence was commuted to life imprisonment. He died in 1951, aged 95 and demented. . I think it's possible he was already demented when the Nazis got hold of him., but not obviously.

Collaborationism is cooperation with the enemy against one's country in wartime.[1]

Stanley Hoffmann subdivided collaboration onto

• involuntary (reluctant recognition of necessity) and
  • voluntary (an attempt of exploiting necessity).[2]

According to him, collaborationism can be subdivided onto

• servile and
  • ideological,
the former is a deliberate service to an enemy, whereas the latter is a deliberate advocacy of co-operation with the foreign force which is seen as a champion of some desirable domestic transformations.[2] In contrast, Bertram Gordon used the terms "collaborator" and "collaborationist" for non-ideological and ideological collaborations, respectively.[3]

More detailed explanation through the link.

Collaborationism - Wikipedia

May 2017
France
In France,in 1944-1945,the treatments reserved to the collaborators were very different:
Women:horizontal collaboration:haircut style "marines".Rodeo in the town with a horse car.Sometimes,the spectators were autorized to put on the face of these women the results of ...…In Nimes,Mrs Polge,girl friend of the german general,was executed by a mystic who shouted "you will die by where you have commited the worse" (interpretation very special of the Bible).
Women:denonciation:fusilied with the men in front of the pupils of the primary schools (civic instruction).My father,13 years,pushed by the enormous crowd,falled on the cadaver of Mrs Van Schlegel,the wife of the "commissaire de police" of the 2d arrondissement of Paris.My granmother has received an indemnizacion for the washing of the clothes,blue and white at the origins,but reds after the exécutions.
Men:very complicated.Some were executed at the Liberation,fusilied;others were executed by the families of the victims of the Occupation.A cousin of mine,15 years, has been invited at the participation of the execution of a lieutnant of milice because his father,resistant, died in deportation in Poland.The judiciaries procédures have saved a lot of men;3000 were autorized to fight in Indochine in the famous BILOM (article:"from LVF to Indochine" in Passion militaria).Henri Amouroux in his book "the règlements de comptes"speak about 12 official exécutions in my town,Ales,but in the registers of the cimetary,i have discovered the names of 60 collaborators.

Similar History Discussions