Trial of Plataea

Sep 2014
Texas
I wrote this as a play while in college and sent it to a competition in New Orleans...no one won...I am going to rewrite it thirty years later and enter it into another competition. I focused on King Archidamus and how it essentially destroyed him and how it was the impetus for Agelaus' obsession with beating down Thebes. Yes Thebes is the bad guy in this play....as Thebes was seen as the real evil by Thucydides...no one in Athens liked Thebes at this time.

Now my question is this...better to write the story in Shakespearean style, or use modern English?

Should I use different accents...not really different but some difference between the Spartans and the men from Boetia?

This is an antiwar story.

Mar 2007
Philadelphia
Don't know that most readers today would appreciate Shakespeare's style, so would stick with modern English. Just use your own voice.

Have you read Victor Davis Hanson's novel "The Death of Sparta"? As I recall, he seemed to try to mimic the ancient Greek's speaking patterns. Which was a bit different, interesting and awkward all at once.

Reactions: bedb
Apr 2014
Liverpool, England
I have to agree that the idea of using Shakespearian English, while attractive in some ways, is seriously impractical. People translating Aristophanes tend to give the Spartans a broad Scottish accent or something of that sort. I am not at all sure that works, though it is not easy to come up with a better idea. The Boeotians were traditionally represented as being a bit thick weren't they?

Apr 2014
Liverpool, England
Lysistrata translated by Alan H. Sommerstein. The Spartan herald arrives. "Where are the lairds o' the Athenian council, or the Executive Committee? I wuid hae words wi' them."

Perhaps not.

Reactions: bedb