Tropical helmets in US military?

Apr 2013
Romania
Everyone knows , that the tropical helmets were and still are used by the british in different forms. So it was strange when I saw recently an american movie from 1950s in which american soldiers used tropical helmets. What i want to know is if the US military still use the helmets today ,what are these units called or if they use this helmets for parade only?:confused::cool:

Apr 2010
evergreen state, USA
I was in an army unit in Georgia (USA) in 1959/60 where I was issued one of those tropical helmets. But I never wore it. The unit was on call to fly down to the Caribbean area (Panama, Puerto Rico) if necessary. That was a medical public health kind of unit. The only time when I was there that such an exercise took place (to Puerto Rico), I did not partake in it.

Apr 2010
evergreen state, USA
I was in an army unit in Georgia (USA) in 1959/60 where I was issued one of those tropical helmets. But I never wore it. The unit was on call to fly down to the Caribbean area (Panama, Puerto Rico) if necessary. That was a medical public health kind of unit. The only time when I was there that such an exercise took place (to Puerto Rico), I did not partake in it.
Now that I think about it, at Fort Stewart, Georgia when I was there in 1959/60, we could wear that (light weight) tropical "helmet" with our khaki uniform in hot weather (optional). I thought it looked ridiculous, myself. We had a Philippino sergeant that liked to wear it, for example. (I was just a lowly enlisted man).

Last edited:
Nov 2011
The Dustbin, formerly, Garden of England

USMC issue 1940-1990 -manufactured by Hawley Products Company and International Hat Company at US$ 1.35.
It was also used by the USN and some Army branches.

US speak "Pressed fibre sun helmet"

British Indian speak "Solar Topee"

Popularly known as a "Pith Helmet", so called as it offered protection from monkeys who tended to pith on the people passing under their trees.

Scaeva

Ad Honorem
Oct 2012
The pith helmet (the tropical helmets referred to by the OP) is still used by the Marine Corps, though only for marksmanship instructors on the rifle range.

Last edited:
Feb 2011
Perambulating in St James' Park
Ah man that's pretty cool, I didn't knew that they're still in use, do the British or Australians still ware these helmets.

The Royal Marines and some Army regiments still wear them for parade, some of the pith helmets are black for some reason, Bish probably knows why. The Italians and Germans also wore them in WW2.

For some reason the RM have oversized pith helmets.

And of course we can't forget Zulu:

Last edited:

Bish

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk.
Ah man that's pretty cool, I didn't knew that they're still in use, do the British or Australians still ware these helmets.
EoR, which British army units wear them, I have never seen them. I know the marines do wear them, you usually see them on the band.

We only wear our beret's, combat helmets or soft cap's as worn by the female under instruction in the photo above.

They were also worn by the DAK in N Africa during WW2.

Similar History Discussions