Troy: Fall of a City

Mar 2007
Philadelphia
I suggest you also try reading the book version, i.e. the trilogy by the late David Gemmel, if you hv not done it yet. Quite compelling also, I reckon. In fact launched me off on my own ancient-warrior trilogy magnum opus wannabe.:cool:
Appreciate the recommendation. I've heard of it, but never read it. Will check it out.

Here's my personal favorite novel about the Trojan War: Whom the Gods Would Destroy. The title comes from a line in Sophocles' Antigone, "Whom the gods would destroy they first make mad." The book was written in the 1970s by one of my favorite authors, Richard Powell. Anyone I've ever loaned it to, including a few students when I taught high school English, have come back with rave reviews.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
@ Aristodemus , you are perfectly right of course , the movie was an Hollywood retelling of the tale using the Illiad as a canvas , it was shaped and cut to fit ,
scriptwriters have their own version of the bed of Procrustes
the plot took a LOT of liberty to make it fit the time format of a Saturday night entertainment ,
the text has been used and abused many time in many place ,
this particular opus is no worst than others and might create some interest in the subject among the teenage cattle .
homer was performing for a semi barbarian warrior audience and told them exactly what they wanted to hear ....heroics , the equivalent of the age of a car chase ,
like all great tales down the ages ,touching on eternal passions it was seasoned for all tastes
Macbeth is in the same situation , Shakespeare would have shaken his head inwonder had he known all the variants his play was made into

for me the Illiad is the play between the Gods ever present meddling and the raw passions of the personages .while the Gods are all powerful , they are not lovable
it is the play of human passions which create the tensions , the drama , the hope and despair
those are eternal

Sep 2012
London, centre of my world
Can anyone spot what is wrong with the BBC's portrayal of a Greek soldier during the siege of Troy?

Correct, the Iliad was set during the Archaic period when the helmet is clearly from the Hellenistic period.

http://historum.com/history-films-television/131693-last-samurai-not-only-stupid-unwatchable-6.html#post2876108?postcount=56
Its wrong because its obviously Memnon, one of the Trojan allies, and therefore not a Greek....

I'm just going to watch it as a story, rather than analyse the dress and look of the actors.
It's the best way in my opinion, otherwise I'd be screaming at my telly box, and I do far too much of that already as it is....

History Chick

Ad Honorem
Jun 2010
Colorado Springs (PA at heart)
Say what you like about Homer but he wasn't a realistic writer. Am I the only person who wants to see a mythic world that was thought of in a way completely different to our own portrayed as such?
I didn't say anything about Homer. I like to see new and more realistic takes on classic stories, regardless of who wrote the original. There's evidence that some of the events Homer wrote about actually occurred, that there was a historical basis for some of it, and I'd like to see a take on that. That doesn't mean I dislike this show or won't watch it, just that I wish they hadn't involved the Gods.

Todd Feinman

Ad Honorem
Oct 2013
Planet Nine, Oregon
Its wrong because its obviously Memnon, one of the Trojan allies, and therefore not a Greek....

I'm just going to watch it as a story, rather than analyse the dress and look of the actors.
It's the best way in my opinion, otherwise I'd be screaming at my telly box, and I do far too much of that already as it is....
And as usual it appears that the armour would look better on Spinal Tap or Gwar; the helmet is a fantasy cross between an Illyrian helmet and the completely wrong helmets from Miller's 300 and the eponymous movie. There are many folks who think these things are accurate. sigh.

Todd Feinman

Ad Honorem
Oct 2013
Planet Nine, Oregon
I'm actually halfway done with a very reasonable attempt at recreating Achilles' helmet, as described with the four horns and crest. Finishing it is coming up on the list.

Dreamhunter

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
Malaysia
The Battle of Kadesh would be fertile grounds for a big Hollywood movie. If they could make a legend like Scorpion King come alive, then Battle of Kadesh would gv them inspiration twenty six times more powerful.

Sep 2012
London, centre of my world
And as usual it appears that the armour would look better on Spinal Tap or Gwar; the helmet is a fantasy cross between an Illyrian helmet and the completely wrong helmets from Miller's 300 and the eponymous movie. There are many folks who think these things are accurate. sigh.
Dear God, it's actually Achilles.

I'm all for diversity, but what next; Othello played by Owen Wilson?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/e2-80-98troy-fall-of-a-city-e2-80-99-team-talk-casting-and-diversity-in-the-bbc-and-netflix-epic/ar-BBJv3kx

Todd Feinman

Ad Honorem
Oct 2013
Planet Nine, Oregon
The Battle of Kadesh would be fertile grounds for a big Hollywood movie. If they could make a legend like Scorpion King come alive, then Battle of Kadesh would gv them inspiration twenty six times more powerful.
That would be very cool! I think part of the problem is that movie producers have to make money and that means catering to the lowest common denominator; More black leather bracers with studs, woven plastic fantasy armour, etc. are things the average movie watcher can relate to and there is Hollywood precedent for --anything else is for eggheads and geeks, and apparently consumers wouldn't bite... "Museum Replicas" can't wait to start selling the fantasy junk once the movies get rolling. God forbid they should actually listen to reenactors; art directors come up with their own fantasies about what things should look like.

Dreamhunter

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
Malaysia
The late David Gemmel, in his Troy Trilogy, actually had a young Hector leading a band of Trojan soldiers at Kadesh, fighting on the Hittite side, IIRC. He in fact came back to Troy seriously injured.

He also had a renegade Moses, on the run from his adoptive father the Pharaoh, on an adventure in Troy, going by the disguise name Gershom. And this Gershom actually became good friends with Helikaon (Aeneas under another name), and actually served as his ship captain, until Gershom had to return to Egypt.