Trying teenagers as adults

Oct 2015
India
USD One billion seems high? India elects lower house of central government every five years. Next one is due in April 2019. The expenditure on these elections would come to more than the US number. In addition there are elections to lower houses in 29 states. Well, it is the price we pay for democracy.

For knowing about India please try this website: News: India News, Latest Bollywood News, Sports News, Business & Political News, National & International News | Times of India . or The Guardian (UK). Reporting by Huff Post, Economists, NYT are not in touch with ground realities. They generally chose to report on trivial matters and that too in a manner to arouse emotions / seek attention of their western audience.

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
USD One billion seems high? India elects lower house of central government every five years. Next one is due in April 2019. The expenditure on these elections would come to more than the US number. In addition there are elections to lower houses in 29 states. Well, it is the price we pay for democracy.

For knowing about India please try this website: News: India News, Latest Bollywood News, Sports News, Business & Political News, National & International News | Times of India . or The Guardian (UK). Reporting by Huff Post, Economists, NYT are not in touch with ground realities. They generally chose to report on trivial matters and that too in a manner to arouse emotions / seek attention of their western audience.

Wow! I didn't know that about India. Not sure it should be simply accepted as the price for democracy. Still seems far too much ,and suggests a pretty corrupt system. This is also the impression I've had, going back to the government of Indira Gandhi, to what I read these days in the Huff post. I omit anything from the days of the Raj as something to be expected under the circumstances..

Not sure I would dismiss a lynching as the result of caste hatred as trivial, (or for any reason; ex judicial murder is not trivial). India has been working for so long to overcome such divisions in Indian society.I thought the journey as well underway with the election it's first Dalit Prime Minister, Kocheril Ramand Narayanan in 1997 . I may have been overly optimistic.

Thank you for the link. I've book marked it for part of my morning read.

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Brassicaland
Well ,yes,I think I gave some examples of egregious corruption in Australia. We've also had systemic corruption by gerrymander. In my own state we had the same premiere for 29 years. Queensland had a similar set up, with the added bonus of a notoriously corrupt Premiere.

I understand that ONE BILLION dollars was spent on the last US presidential election . I think that's obscene . Here , I think, but am not certain, that political donations must be disclosed. There have been moves her for many years to limit the amount candidates may spend on their election. There have also been calls for elections to be financed by government, with a set amount. for each candidate. I think that's a great idea, then it would be harder to 'buy' an election

. The corruption of the lobbying system is common here too,. especially from the mining sector. I would like to see political donations by a business or company banned...

There may be a certain apparent transparency in the US lobbying system, but it seems to me that it remains deeply corrupt. It's till very obviously a matter of payment (often in millions) with implicit expectation of political favours to come. But, an outsider, I may be wrong.

I read the Huff post India a few times each week. It regularly writes about some poor Dalit man who has been lynched/killed by a mob for such serious crimes as daring to grow a moustache or riding a horse to his own wedding. (this is obviously in rural villages, not the city)

Can't say I understand Indian politics,.as reported. As tends to be the case in other poor countries**, I would expect political corruption (and violence?) the be quite serious.

** OF COURSE India is growing massively, ,especially economically.I understand that India now has a middle class of around 200 million. THAT is impressive .However, dire poverty seems to still exists to a heart breaking level .

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

OT. Be interested in your opinion of Mother Theresa. I saw her interviewed on TV, and she came across as a hateful old bitch. That was years ago. Since then I have read some horrible things about her treatment of the sick and dying in her facility. Plus the claim that only a tiny percentage of money donated is used for the sick and the poor. It's interesting, that calls to have her canonised by the church seem to have been quietly dropped
Corruption is universal and the best we can do is minimizing it.
India is growing rapidly; then, it is suffering from "growing pains" as well.
As for Mother Theresa, I have read the two books by Aroup Chatterjee and Christopher Hitchen's Missionary Position.
This is a well-known article:
http://www.srai.org/mother-teresas-house-of-illusions/
I recalled posting a criticism of Mother Teresa, on a Baidu tieba of a Hong Kong singer, Sammi Cheng, who sang a song of praise on Mother Teresa; it was immediately removed.
It is just an example of superficiality of celebrities.

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
Corruption is universal and the best we can do is minimizing it.
India is growing rapidly; then, it is suffering from "growing pains" as well.
As for Mother Theresa, I have read the two books by Aroup Chatterjee and Christopher Hitchen's Missionary Position.
This is a well-known article:
Mother Teresa’s House of Illusions
I recalled posting a criticism of Mother Teresa, on a Baidu tieba of a Hong Kong singer, Sammi Cheng, who sang a song of praise on Mother Teresa; it was immediately removed.
It is just an example of superficiality of celebrities.
Thanks for the link. I haven't read Hitchens on the topic, but have seen and read enough of his polemics to have a pretty fair idea of his position. He hated humbug. As do I...
that celebrity thing puts me in mind of the many celebrity photo opportunities with the Dali Lama; perhaps a useless attempt to give the impression of emotional or intellectual depth.

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Brassicaland
Thanks for the link. I haven't read Hitchens on the topic, but have seen and read enough of his polemics to have a pretty fair idea of his position. He hated humbug. As do I...
that celebrity thing puts me in mind of the many celebrity photo opportunities with the Dali Lama; perhaps a useless attempt to give the impression of emotional or intellectual depth.
Many celebrities are known as humbugs as well.
Let's be specific about the song I was talking about: The song is called "加尔各答的天使-德兰修女“(Angel of Kolkata, Mother Teresa)”
Alas, this is the deluded impression of Mother Teresa, and people do not like being awakened to the reality.
The ending of Bertrand Russell's Why I am not a Christian is quite impressive:

WHAT WE MUST DO

We want to stand upon our own feet and look fair and square at the world—its good facts, its bad facts, its beauties, and its ugliness; see the world as it is, and be not afraid of it. Conquer the world by intelligence, and not merely by being slavishly subdued by the terror that comes from it. The whole conception of God is a conception derived from the ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men. When you hear people in church debasing themselves and saying that they are miserable sinners, and all the rest of it, it seems contemptible and not worthy of self-respecting human beings. We ought to stand up and look the world frankly in the face. We ought to make the best we can of the world, and if it is not so good as we wish, after all it will still be better than what these others have made of it in all these ages. A good world needs knowledge, kindliness, and courage; it does not need a regretful hankering after the past, or a fettering of the free intelligence by the words uttered long ago by ignorant men. It needs a fearless outlook and a free intelligence. It needs hope for the future, not looking back all the time towards a past that is dead, which we trust will be far surpassed by the future that our intelligence can create.
Many of us refuse to face the world directly, and living in the world of illusion sounds safer.
I have insisted that Mother Teresa was less than virtuous for almost 20 years!

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
@VHS beautiful quote; a great, lucid thinker

I read "Why I am not a Christian" over 40 years ago. It helped me in my journey away from superstition towards reason.

Sorry, I don't read or understand Chinese language or script, so the song would be wasted on me.-I'm hopeless with tonal languages. I tried to learn Vietnamese nearly 30year sago, for work (Vietnamese refugees, to make them feel welcome) I would try to say something simple, such as "thank you" or "my name is" and it would come out rude, and my Vietnamese fiends would be in stitches laughing at me.

I think the interview with Mother Theresa could have been around 20 years ago. At that time, this was a minority opinion. She came across very much like the narrow minded and bigoted Irish nuns into whose 'gentle care' I was entrusted in 1952.

You know the old newspaper saying "when the myth is more attractive than reality, ,print the myth" I think that partially explains people's belief in aliens; much more interesting than the boring truth. It's amusing to me that few seem to have realised a basic flaw in their thinking; they assume such beings will of course be benign. There is no reason for such an assumption.

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Brassicaland
@VHS beautiful quote; a great, lucid thinker

I read "Why I am not a Christian" over 40 years ago. It helped me in my journey away from superstition towards reason.

Sorry, I don't read or understand Chinese language or script, so the song would be wasted on me.-I'm hopeless with tonal languages. I tried to learn Vietnamese nearly 30year sago, for work (Vietnamese refugees, to make them feel welcome) I would try to say something simple, such as "thank you" or "my name is" and it would come out rude, and my Vietnamese fiends would be in stitches laughing at me.

I think the interview with Mother Theresa could have been around 20 years ago. At that time, this was a minority opinion. She came across very much like the narrow minded and bigoted Irish nuns into whose 'gentle care' I was entrusted in 1952.

You know the old newspaper saying "when the myth is more attractive than reality, ,print the myth" I think that partially explains people's belief in aliens; much more interesting than the boring truth. It's amusing to me that few seem to have realised a basic flaw in their thinking; they assume such beings will of course be benign. There is no reason for such an assumption.
Sammi Cheng is a well-known Hong Kong pop singer who is a Christian, and many (if not most) of her songs have Christian messages.
Then, most of the songs demonstrate the superficiality of Christianity.
The Chinese TV show Showers of Blessings is also unabashedly superficial.
Her song “Angel of Kolkata, Mother Teresa” is an unabashed praise of Mother Teresa for unconditional love and dedication, which are both largely questionable for Mother Teresa.
I feel more agreeable and personable with people who question Mother Teresa most of the time as well.
The passage "Mother Teresa sucked" isn't getting the message anywhere; we need to inform the world why she was largely irrelevant and even counterproductive.

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
@VHS

There is no doubt that Christianity is a pretty shallow belief system for I think at least the majority of Christians.Same goes for all organised religions as far as I can tell.

However, I wouldn't go a far as making a sweeping generalisation; there are always exceptions. Christianity has always had people of deep faith who suffered greatly for their beliefs. The church has also pretty much always had its deep thinkers and brilliant minds.This can be seen in some theologians. such as Augustine of Hippo, Thomas Aquinas and in modern times Dietrich Bonhoeffer ,a Lutheran priest and theologian who was executed by the Nazis for taking part in Operation Valkyrie and vocal opposition to the Nazis.

There is also a small group of Christians who experience "the dark night of the soul". The term was coined by St John Of The Cross in the 14 century. In modern times perhaps the most well known sufferer was Gerald Manley Hopkins, Jesuit priests and great modern poet (my favourite)

The religious orders of the Dominicans and Jesuits have been famous for their intellectuals and theologians for centuries. I think of theology as a waste of a good mind. I think of Jesuits as brilliant sophists in their apologetics.--

Going by the New Testament, Christianity is a simple faith , but that doesn't mean it is necessarily superficial.

Overall, I agree with your opinion. I've found this to be especially true of evangelicals, whose churches I describe as "happy clappy" Their faith seems to be shallow to the point of the idiotic; Eg Speaking in tongues, being' slain in the spirit'----I've seen these things first hand. I was appalled, but fascinated.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Dietrich Bonhoeffer (German: [ˈdiːtʁɪç ˈboːnhœfɐ]; 4 February 1906 – 9 April 1945) was a German pastor, theologian, anti-Nazi dissident, and key founding member of the Confessing Church. His writings on Christianity's role in the secular world have become widely influential, and his book The Cost of Discipleship has been described as a modern classic.[1]

Apart from his theological writings, Bonhoeffer was known for his staunch resistance to Nazi dictatorship, including vocal opposition to Hitler's euthanasia program and genocidal persecution of the Jews.[2] He was arrested in April 1943 by the Gestapo and imprisoned at Tegel prison for one and a half years. Later, he was transferred to a Nazi concentration camp. After being accused of being associated with the July 20 plot to assassinate Adolf Hitler, he was quickly tried, along with other accused plotters, including former members of the Abwehr (the German Milita

Dietrich Bonhoeffer - Wikipedia

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Brassicaland
Then, I found this piece today!
Christianity Unveiled, by Nicolas-Antoine Boulanger

Ever since I found the Christian Bible and Christianity questionable, I have been reading anti-Christian materials.
I know this thread somewhat gets there due to the mentioning of Mother Teresa.
Back to the premise of the OP:
I would like mentioning the Chinese or Japanese term "中二病” (literally the "8 Grade Syndrome") again:
Chunibyou (Eight-Grade-Disease) - Club - MyAnimeList.net
Maturity comes at different points in lives, and adults with the over tendency are called "大龄中二” (adultescent in practice).
The word "adultescent" came around the early 2000s; such phenomenons are quite common today.
For example, I am still interested in stuffies even for my age; then, I know many adults who have stuffies in their offices

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
Then, I found this piece today!
Christianity Unveiled, by Nicolas-Antoine Boulanger

Ever since I found the Christian Bible and Christianity questionable, I have been reading anti-Christian materials.
I know this thread somewhat gets there due to the mentioning of Mother Teresa.
Back to the premise of the OP:
I would like mentioning the Chinese or Japanese term "中二病” (literally the "8 Grade Syndrome") again:
Chunibyou (Eight-Grade-Disease) - Club - MyAnimeList.net
Maturity comes at different points in lives, and adults with the over tendency are called "大龄中二” (adultescent in practice).
The word "adultescent" came around the early 2000s; such phenomenons are quite common today.
For example, I am still interested in stuffies even for my age; then, I know many adults who have stuffies in their offices

Not sure what a stuffie might be. A stuffed toy? I was given my last stuffed toy at age 32. He was JBTB (Jolly Blue TeddY Bear) ,a powder blue oversized teddy bear, with a large seersucker tie.

It is my understanding that age 7 is considered the age of reason in traditional Chinese society. Same in the Catholic Church. I've long thought age 12 to be the age of reason. Because it is my understanding age 12 is the age people tend to become capable of abstract thought. IE able to understand say that stealing is morally wrong as a principe, rather than something one ought not do because of the consequences.

Last edited:

Similar History Discussions