Trying to Find Information About Gottschee Resettlements / Gottscheers / Gottschee Germans

Feb 2019
Pennsylvania, US
I'm looking for any information about the Gottschee - German settlers in what was in Lower Carniola... From their Rebellion against the French in 1809, to the peasant uprisings in the 15th C... the impact of Turkish Invasions... I'll take anything. :)

If that's too broad, then in particular, I have a couple of questions about the movements of the Gottschee people during and after WWII. From what I've been reading, it seems like there are a lot of different opinions as to what happened after 1941 - whether the Gottscheers were Nazi-sympathizers or were simply trying to escape being a German minority in Yugoslavia, facing German discrimination after WWI. I'm wondering if anyone has any additional information about them - or could answer a few questions in particular:

- Was the Gottschee resettlement forced? I've read that in order to remove them from the Italian occupation zone, there was pressure to move the Gottscheers from what had been their home since the 1300's, into a newly vacated area (into homes that had been owned by Slovenes who had been rounded up and taken to Germany to serve as forced laborers / be "Germanized"). Some people insist that this was voluntary, to be rejoined to their ethnic homeland - some say that it was done through coercion / force. Is there any information that would suggest the resettlement was done through force (apart from the fact that the Volksdeutsche Mittelstelle had a deadline for their removal)?

- After WWII, it seems like there was pressure from the Slavs surrounding the "new" Gotschee settlements - during the war, they were a target for Tito's Partisans... as the Nazi regime disintegrated and their protection melted away, what did the Gottschee do? For those that stayed in their new settlements in the Lower Sava Valley, did they face expulsion? Were they some of the ethnic Germans sent to work as forced laborers after the war?

- What remains of the Gottschee / Kočevsko county in Europe today? I know there are large numbers of Gottscheers in New York and also in Ohio... what remains in Slovenia?

Reactions: Futurist

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Also, there is this Wikipedia article about them, but maybe you have already seen it:

Gottscheers - Wikipedia

The German version of this Wikipedia article appears to be much more detailed, though:

Gottscheer – Wikipedia

This is actually a good tip in regards to Wikipedia: Even if the English-language version of a particular Wikipedia article doesn't contain that much information, one should check various other Wikipedias for the same article. After all, it's possible that some other Wikipedia would have more information in the relevant article about whatever topic you're researching. :)

Reactions: Niobe

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Also, you can obviously use Google Translate to translate Wikipedia articles in other languages to English--but hopefully you already knew that! :)

Feb 2019
Pennsylvania, US
Also, you can obviously use Google Translate to translate Wikipedia articles in other languages to English--but hopefully you already knew that! :)
That's a good thought! I'm giving myself a bit of a crash course in Gottschee history... My Aunt is really interested in it and knows more about it than I do - and she's a bit under the weather so I'm trying to get a bunch of information together to talk to her about to take her mind off things.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
What made your aunt interested in this?

Also, maybe your aunt should get a doctor's appointment if she's suffering from depression.

Feb 2019
Pennsylvania, US
What made your aunt interested in this?
She is into family history and we have family that are Gottschee immigrants. She was wanting to go to Europe and see the town where our family is from.

Also, maybe your aunt should get a doctor's appointment if she's suffering from depression.
Yeah, I was being a bit euphemistic - she's not really depressed. :( She's in the hospital at the moment.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
She is into family history and we have family that are Gottschee immigrants. She was wanting to go to Europe and see the town where our family is from.
Oh! That's pretty cool! :)

Yeah, I was being a bit euphemistic - she's not really depressed. :( She's in the hospital at the moment.
Her life isn't in danger, is it? I really hope that she doesn't have some kind of deadly disease. :(

Jun 2017
maine
I hope that your aunt soon recovers and is back on the trail again!

Genealogical researching in Slovonia is really difficult (at least for me). However, I suggest that you look into the Gottscheer Heritage and Genealogical Association (they're on the web at gottschee.org); I believe that they may have a Facebook page, If you are on Facebook, one of my genealogical library associates tells me that there is a genealogical group on that site--they post and exchange information.

FamilySearch (LDS) has a page of links for Slovenian genealogy: familysearch.org/wiki/en/slovonia_websites.

You might post a query on the Ancestry bulletin board--also the RootsWeb board (while there, check on what may already have come in). There should be some sort of group on the International GenWeb project.

You can do this!

Reactions: Futurist and Niobe
Feb 2019
Pennsylvania, US
I hope that your aunt soon recovers and is back on the trail again!

Genealogical researching in Slovonia is really difficult (at least for me). However, I suggest that you look into the Gottscheer Heritage and Genealogical Association (they're on the web at gottschee.org); I believe that they may have a Facebook page, If you are on Facebook, one of my genealogical library associates tells me that there is a genealogical group on that site--they post and exchange information.

FamilySearch (LDS) has a page of links for Slovenian genealogy: familysearch.org/wiki/en/slovonia_websites.

You might post a query on the Ancestry bulletin board--also the RootsWeb board (while there, check on what may already have come in). There should be some sort of group on the International GenWeb project.

You can do this!
I will check these leads out! I have some family names that should help narrow down which town my family came from. I started cramming yesterday and am working through the book The Bells Ring No More by John Tschinkel. From some of the other reading I did, it just seemed like where allusions made to historical events, but I'm not finding loads of additional information... though again, this has been since yesterday. :winktongue:

I think Historum is making me lazy - everyone seems to know everything here, so I just ask. ;)

Her life isn't in danger, is it? I really hope that she doesn't have some kind of deadly disease. :(
It's just not very fun in the hospital... anything to lift the mood helps. :)