Trying to Find Information About Gottschee Resettlements / Gottscheers / Gottschee Germans

Shtajerc

Ad Honorem
Jul 2014
Lower Styria, Slovenia
Well, these are all "plans" (just a lot of talk... right now). I should just go on a sort of survivalist trip and get it all out of my system... prove whatever it is that I feel I need to prove to myself - face death, come home, make tea... live quietly again. :lol:

It's understandable to want to adapt to their new home, but I find it a little sad. Ignatius is such a great name ('Fiery', 'Fiery One'?)!
I mean, I understand your need. I have this absurd fantasy to see a little action as a mercenary in a Subsaharan civil war or be a land owner in Namibia. I would be just as content to go to Namibia and see the sand desert though. For some reason I feel drawn to Southern Africa.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
That's quite a change from Ignatius and Therese to James and Rosie. I guess back then people tried hard to integrate as much as possible and make their names sound as American as it could get.
I mean, I understand your need. I have this absurd fantasy to see a little action as a mercenary in a Subsaharan civil war or be a land owner in Namibia. I would be just as content to go to Namibia and see the sand desert though. For some reason I feel drawn to Southern Africa.
Maybe it's the German cultural link inside of you. ;) Namibia is the most Germanized African country, no?

Shtajerc

Ad Honorem
Jul 2014
Lower Styria, Slovenia
Maybe it's the German cultural link inside of you. ;) Namibia is the most Germanized African country, no?
Oh, well, Niobe mentioned this change of their first names in one of his posts.

I don't know, I am a germanist by education, but I don't know if I have any German ancestry, at least not in the last 3-4 generations. Namibia is the one with the most German traits and actual Germans still left, but besides Botswana it's the only Southern African country I'd dare visit in the current situation. I actually find South Africa and Zimbabwe more alluring (I guess I've watched too many documentaries about Rhodesia), but as a white man I don't fancy going there currently. Idk, somehow I find the African conflicts right after the end of colonialism very intriguing ...

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Oh, well, Niobe mentioned this change of their first names in one of his posts.
OK.

Also, Niobe is a woman.

I don't know, I am a germanist by education, but I don't know if I have any German ancestry, at least not in the last 3-4 generations. Namibia is the one with the most German traits and actual Germans still left, but besides Botswana it's the only Southern African country I'd dare visit in the current situation. I actually find South Africa and Zimbabwe more alluring (I guess I've watched too many documentaries about Rhodesia), but as a white man I don't fancy going there currently. Idk, somehow I find the African conflicts right after the end of colonialism very intriguing ...

Very interesting and very tragic! :( Yeah, Sub-Saharan Africa hasn't exactly always fared well after the end of colonialism. :(

Shtajerc

Ad Honorem
Jul 2014
Lower Styria, Slovenia
Also, Niobe is a woman.
Huh. Now that's something new to me. :oops: Here on the forum I always assume everyone's a man. The English language doesn't really make it evident most of the time either. On the other hand, this way I treat everyone equally as I don't cut anyone any slack. :)

Feb 2019
Pennsylvania, US
If you're afraid of death, get cryogenically preserved after you will die. Seriously. :)

Frankly, I like the name Sylvanus ("Of the woods," I think) better (like Sylvanus Thayer, the "Father of West Point"). It's not German, but oh well!
Sylvanus is a good name, too. This is less of a fear of death and more like a death wish. I'm not sure which one is more embarrassing to own up to. :think:

Feb 2019
Pennsylvania, US
Haha! That does sounds like it would be fun... it's one of those things that has the potential to be terribly dangerous, but is absolutely irresistible. I had wanted to go to Maine, which quickly became about finding the more remote town in Newfoundland... to realizing that there is an airport in Nunavut, and that I could technically go there and try to find the resting place of members of the Franklin Expedition on Beechey and King William Islands. There's really only two months that are good for going to Nunavut, and they coincide with the months when the polar bears are most active.... and rather hungry!

Nonetheless, it would really be such an amazing thing to see... and like you, I'd settle for a glimpse of some frozen wasteland, if I can't get to King William Island in particular.

Similar History Discussions