Trying to Find Information About Gottschee Resettlements / Gottscheers / Gottschee Germans

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
Feb 2019
Pennsylvania, US

Thank you so much! This is great! This gives me plenty to read... :) That link from Gottschee.net that you listed (14th century) will be interesting. My aunt (who is really interested in the Gottchee side of the family, and who has gotten me into it now as well), mentioned that she thought she remembered reading about an "exile". I thought maybe she was referring to the forced resettlement in the 1940's, but she seems to think that the initial move to bring settlers into this remote, densely forested area was by force or as punishment... I just read this statement in that 14th C link, touching on the lack of workforce to handle the territory (using Google translate here):

"The document of 1320 tells us that Meinhart must have started the settlement in Lower Carniola before 1315 and that his son Hermann III. the lengthy planning and settlement preparation has carried out. However, it also gives a perfect information about the origin of the first settlers: they were originally from the fiefs of the Ortenburgers themselves, and when their own human reservoir was exhausted, they resorted to people of the neighbors."

So I guess that during some of these early feuds, people from neighboring areas were forced to be the first to settle and tame the land.... this same 14th Century history mentioned that there was more of a group of predominantly Slovenian background - then a second wave of settlers came later, who were predominantly German.

Feb 2019
Pennsylvania, US
Huh. Now that's something new to me. :oops: Here on the forum I always assume everyone's a man. The English language doesn't really make it evident most of the time either. On the other hand, this way I treat everyone equally as I don't cut anyone any slack. :)
There are no girls on this thread... Move along...

jedi mind trick.gif