Trying to Find Information About Gottschee Resettlements / Gottscheers / Gottschee Germans

Oct 2013
Europix
A couple of links:

on the history of Gottscheer, Dr. Erich Petschauer's work. In German, but I recommend it: not too long but covers the theme well (I checked a translating-machine, it gives a readable version in English).

- Gottschee / Kocevje - 11. bis 13. Jahrhundert
- Gottschee / Kocevje - 14. Jahrhundert
- Gottschee / Kocevje - 15. Jahrhundert
- Gottschee / Kocevje - 16. Jahrhundert
- Gottschee / Kocevje - 17. Jahrhundert
- Gottschee / Kocevje - 18. Jahrhundert
- Gottschee / Kocevje - 19. Jahrhundert
- Das 20. Jahrhundert / I., Dr. Erich Petschauer, 1980
- Das 20. Jahrhundert / II., Dr. Erich Petschauer, 1980
- Gottschee / Kocevje - 20. Jahrhundert / III., Dr. Erich Petschauer , 1980

on Wilhelm Lampeter (in German ... ):

- Wilhelm Lampeter, Lagebericht vom 17.02.1942. www.gottschee.de
- Gottschee / Gottscheer

on the expulsion / deportation of the Slovene (it's in German ... again ...):

- Absiedlung / Deportation der Slowenen aus der Untersteiermark durch die nationalsozialistische EWZ - Einwandererzentralstelle des Chefs der Sicherheitspolizei und des SD, Litzmannstadt,3. Oktober 1943.

Generally speaking, Gottschee Gottscheer, although mostly in German, is full of informations (there are facsimiles, photos, song recordings, aso).

Feb 2019
Pennsylvania, US

Thank you so much! This is great! This gives me plenty to read... :) That link from Gottschee.net that you listed (14th century) will be interesting. My aunt (who is really interested in the Gottchee side of the family, and who has gotten me into it now as well), mentioned that she thought she remembered reading about an "exile". I thought maybe she was referring to the forced resettlement in the 1940's, but she seems to think that the initial move to bring settlers into this remote, densely forested area was by force or as punishment... I just read this statement in that 14th C link, touching on the lack of workforce to handle the territory (using Google translate here):

"The document of 1320 tells us that Meinhart must have started the settlement in Lower Carniola before 1315 and that his son Hermann III. the lengthy planning and settlement preparation has carried out. However, it also gives a perfect information about the origin of the first settlers: they were originally from the fiefs of the Ortenburgers themselves, and when their own human reservoir was exhausted, they resorted to people of the neighbors."

So I guess that during some of these early feuds, people from neighboring areas were forced to be the first to settle and tame the land.... this same 14th Century history mentioned that there was more of a group of predominantly Slovenian background - then a second wave of settlers came later, who were predominantly German.

Similar History Discussions