Trying to identify German Uniform

Feb 2018
United States
Good evening all,

I am doing a bunch of genealogical work, and scanned this photo of a man in a German uniform. He served in the German army during WW1, and probably served later on as well. Is anybody able to help identify what type of soldier he was? I was told he was an officer of some kind. I noticed some numbers on his collar, perhaps his unit?

Thanks in advance,
themhb

P.S. I couldn't put the full high quality scan up, so some parts of the image are enlarged for better analysis.

Attachments

Feb 2016
Japan
He is part of the 27th Brigade. 14th Division.
Which would put him in either the 16th or 53rd infantry regiments. These were the old 3rd and 5th Westphalian Regiments.

To make out his Regiment you need to see his shoulder straps... and you can’t quite make them out.

Last edited:
Feb 2016
Japan
He could also be Austrohungarian... their 14th (xiv) Division also had a 27th brigade.
In which case he could be from the 71st or 72nd Regiments or the 11th J├Ąger.

Feb 2018
United States
Thank you, amazing work. He was part of the Prussian Army, and from other photos i have looked at, you guys nailed it. Now onto the fun part... trying to see if there are any records to find from his service.

Wish me luck,
themhb

Feb 2016
Japan
I should point out that the 27th Infantry brigade and 14th division. Also had a mirror reserve division. The 14th reserve division and the 27th reserve brigade. These were made of the 16th and 53rd Reserve regiments. My knowledge of ww1 infantry uniforms is sparser than for 18th-19th century ones and I’m unclear as to there being any noticeable uniform distinctions between the 16th Regiment and the 16th Reserve Regiment and if they are related in anyway.

It might mean you need to widen your scope to looking at the reserve records too.

Similar History Discussions