Trying to return items taken from Austrian citizens by my father in WWII

Jan 2011
I don't know if I'm posting this in the right place or not. I have a treasure trove of items my father brought back from Germany from WWII. Nazi armbands, a Nazi flag, cigarette cases with the Nazi symbol, a huge box of Bavarian medals I'm sure he took from private homes... too many items to mention. However, among all this "stuff" was a box of postcards. They were obviously written by people who were on vacation to various areas, mainly in the 1920's and early 1930's, to family members. There are addresses on these post-cards, of course. I am sure the descendants of the people who wrote these post cards would love to have them. Does anyone know how I can begin to track these people down so these "heirlooms" can go to the people who should have them?

Aug 2018
Southern Indiana
Maybe contact local newspapers, it'd make an interesting story. Another way would maybe try to look up the family names on Facebook in that area and ask if they are related to them.

Chlodio

Forum Staff
Aug 2016
Dispargum
If no one comes forward to claim the post cards, maybe donate them to a local museum or historical society in Germany. I'm not certain, but Nazi memorabilia might be illegal in Germany today. Even if it's legal, don't be surprised if no one comes forward to claim it. If someone does claim it, I'd be skeptical - maybe they're a Neo Nazi or something.

Apr 2010
evergreen state, USA
I remember my ex-mother-in-law in Germany had a book in her bookcase from the nazi era showing all the various uniforms of military, hitler youth, and such like. I wonder if that was illegal, ha ha.