Turin shroud was made for medieval Easter ritual, historian says

Sep 2008
Halicarnassus, 353BC
When it is exhibited next year in Turin, for the first time in five years, 2 million people are expected to pour into the city to venerate a four-metre length of woven cloth as the shroud in which Jesus Christ was wrapped after his crucifixion, and on to which was transferred his ghostly image.

Despite the fact that the cloth was radiocarbon-dated to the 14th century in 1988, an array of theories continue to be presented to support its authenticity – including, this year, the idea from scientists at the Politecnico di Torino that an earthquake in AD 33 may have caused a release of neutrons responsible for the formation of the image.

But, according to research by British scholar and author Charles Freeman, to be published in the journal History Today, the truth is that the shroud is not only medieval, just as the radiocarbon dating suggests, but that it is likely to have been created for medieval Easter rituals – an explanation that flies in the face of what he called “intense and sometimes absurd speculation” that coalesces around it.

What do you think about this? Is the shroud real? Could this be the face of Christ?

Jim Casy

Ad Honorem
Mar 2013
Scotland
The problem is that we don't know what he looked like. The best efforts of science came up with this, I remember.

The image on the shroud appears to show the likeness of a person older that his 30s.

OpanaPointer

Ad Honoris
Dec 2010
Near St. Louis.
Additionally, the image on the cloth isn't that which would be produced by laying fabric against the roughly spherical head of a human. It's a painting, not an contact impression.

Dan Howard

Ad Honorem
Aug 2014
Australia
Yep. It is impossible for a contact impression to look like that. If the cloth was wrapped around the face, the impression transferred to the cloth, and the cloth then opened up flat, it would not look like that image. It would have a stretched appearance like a "skin" that is used for 3D modelling. The shroud is a 14th century painting.

Last edited:

OpanaPointer

Ad Honoris
Dec 2010
Near St. Louis.
Yep. It is impossible for a contact impression to look like that. If the cloth was wrapped around the face, the impression transferred to the cloth, and the cloth then opened up flat, it would not look like that image. It would have a stretched appearance like a "skin" that is used for 3D modelling. The shroud is a 14th century painting.
From ear canal to ear canal my face is 13 inches. Flat view of my face is 7 inches. If that cloth had been wrapped around his head we'd see the ears.

Waiting for "miraculous" something-or-other.

Sep 2008
Halicarnassus, 353BC
Thanks! :)

It's good to be back

As far as I know, the earliest depictions of Jesus showed him without a beard, I remember seing a recent documentary which showed a sculpture of Jesus from the Roman period where he looks like this:

Last edited:

OpanaPointer

Ad Honoris
Dec 2010
Near St. Louis.
It is the duty of a good believer to make sure the thing they are believing is accurate! Otherwise we are distracting ourselves from the true message of faith
Cthulhu's Corollary to Pascal's Wager: What if you picked the wrong god?