Turkey commting assisted economic suicide?

Jun 2012
Malaysia
Muslim countries like Turkey have unstable democracies, that can elect ones like Erdogan who would manipulate its constitution to remain in power forever. Such despots can be eliminated only with military coup.
Naah. Not really. They do not hv a monopoly on that kind of thing. Perhaps you hv not heard about China's XJP having quite recently accomplished just exactly that. Say, you cud offer to share that advice of yours with their PLA. Maybe gv their chief a call or something. And don't forget the Russians also.

Last edited:

kandal

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
USA
In addition, as far as the US is concerned, Turkey has not been much use to us since the early years of the century. Turkey is never going to leave NATO because of the nuclear umbrella, but other than that, they are kind of a pimple on NATO's butt.....the only Islamist country in the alliance. It is an alliance that has been battling Islamists since 2001.
I do not understand why Turkey is in the NATO. The country should have been kicked out long ago, after Turks started showing their real color, I mean their Islamist side. Turkey and Turks have nothing in common with NATO. Actually they will use their NATO membership to sabotage NATO. Their sympathies lie with the Islamic world that NATO is fighting against.

Also this Grand Turk Erdogan has been borrowing heavy from the Europeans and using the money to build thousands of Mosques to turn ordinary Turks into firebrand Muslims. Now this guy can't even pay back! I hope Trump will kick Turkey out of NATO.

Last edited:
Jun 2012
Malaysia
I do not understand why Turkey is in the NATO. The country should have been kicked out long ago, after Turks started showing their real color, I mean their Islamist side. Turkey and Turks have nothing in common with NATO. Actually they will use their NATO membership to sabotage NATO. Their sympathies lie with the Islamic world that NATO is fighting against.
Turkey as Turkey is right now is the southeastern flank of NATO. A Turkey out of NATO wud be welcomed with wide open arms by Russia. It wud immediately gv them a formidable new ally on the southeastern flank of NATO. Or rather, NATO's current southeastern flank is going to become Russia's new southwestern flank, if such a scenario materialises. It wud also result in completely uncontested authority over the Black Sea, as well as the northern portion of the Eastern Mediterranean, for a then new Russian-centred alliance. And don't forget also, that Syria is now already firmly in the Russian fold, more or less.

And then, if such a scenario does develop, what then is going to stop Russia from helping Turkey to nuclearise. Or easier still, from just installing Russian nukes on Turkish soil.

All in all, it wud not be in NATO's interest to eject Turkey, for sure. Not that Turkey cannot survive such an ejection.

Last edited:

kandal

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
USA
^^ Russia's GDP is less than half of Germany. Further, its wealth comes from oil/gas. It is basically a paper tiger with nukes. Russia is not what it projects to be.

Last edited:

SSDD

Ad Honorem
Aug 2014
India
Erdogan is a demagogue. Populism is in fashion these days and it doesn't take demagogues long to latch on to the resentment and anger. Islamists are just rednecks after all.

Putin in Russia; Orban in Hungary; whoever that guy is in Italy, and "some guy" :)laugh:) in North America..... We will all get over it, but damage will be done in the interim.

Erdogan can get away with that stuff in Turkey, but the country does not have the gravitas or resources to go its own way - economically or politically.

EDIT: I know that the military interests are not as domineering in Turkey as previously, but they are still around, and may be biding their time.
I think you did not understand my post. Now in Turkey many people are saying they are not Turks. They are converting and saying they are Georgians, Armenians or Greeks. Others are saying Anatolia was actually an IE area and Turkish there is foreign language.

I know Erdoganism has heavy dose of religious extremism, so I was wondering if Erdogan was trying to use religion to hold together Turkish identity which was created in 1920s.

Fox

Ad Honorem
Oct 2011
Korea
Furtive Policy Puts Turkey on Road to 300 Basis-Point Rate Hike.

Turkey may be on the path toward a 300 basis-point interest rate increase with barely a whisper from the central bank as the country struggles to contain a currency crisis that’s reverberating around the world.

By shutting banks off from borrowing at the benchmark 17.75 percent repo rate and forcing them to turn to the overnight lending rate -- currently at 19.25 percent -- policy makers have effectively enacted a 150 basis-point hike within a week. Should they close down the overnight market too, it would compel borrowers to turn to the emergency late liquidity window, where rates currently stand at 20.75 percent.

“The repo rate is no longer relevant because all the funding is done at the overnight lending rate,” said Ziad Daoud, the chief economist for the Middle East at Bloomberg Economics in Dubai. “It’ll be interesting to see whether the central bank will stop here or or whether it’ll use the late liquidity window to lift rates further.”

The central bank is trying to counter the slump in the lira without formally raising its benchmark interest rate, a move opposed by President Recep Tayyib Erdogan. The president says that higher interest rates fuel inflation -- a view at odds with economic orthodoxy -- and will kill off economic growth. The lira slid 20 percent in the past month, triggering concern about contagion in other emerging markets grappling with fears of a trade war, reduced stimulus in the developed world and falling commodity prices.

Despite a rebound in the middle of the week, the lira resumed a sell-off Friday and traders will probably remain on edge as they wait to see whether the U.S. imposes more sanctions. Turkey’s credit rating was cut further into junk by S&P Global Ratings and Moody’s Investors Service, which said the volatile currency and wide current-account deficit may undermine the Middle East’s largest economy. Lira trading is likely to be thin in coming days due to a week-long holiday.

Jun 2012
Malaysia
I think you did not understand my post. Now in Turkey many people are saying they are not Turks. They are converting and saying they are Georgians, Armenians or Greeks. Others are saying Anatolia was actually an IE area and Turkish there is foreign language.

I know Erdoganism has heavy dose of religious extremism, so I was wondering if Erdogan was trying to use religion to hold together Turkish identity which was created in 1920s.
Another trolling post. Now, I wud not be all that surprised if someone found out that Reccep actually has some Georgian, Armenian or Greek, or even combo of all three, lineage. Point is, he is now a Muslim, and so has several generations of his ancestors, at the very least, and there is not much chance of him or any of his immediate family reconverting back to the previous faith of their far ancient ancestors. And that is in fact exactly the case with the great majority of today's so called Anatolian looking Turks.

Just as, similarly also, there is not much chance of today's Pakistanis, Afghans, Bangladeshis, Malay Malaysians & Muslim Indonesians, even Muslim Indians, and their immediate family members, reconverting back to Hinduism, or Buddhism, or even paganistic animism, the faiths of their ancient ancestors.

While ancient Anatolia was not exactly so called "IE area" either. Even the Hittites were a numerical minority demographically, but their overwhelming military supremacy enabled them to impose their language & military culture on the numerically bigger indigenous Hatti whom they conquered, an originally Caucasic people who were neither IE nor Semitic.

Turkish identity in Anatolia was not created in 1920s. But more like in the 11th century, with the earliest arrival of the Seljuks. You need some polishing up on your history knowledge.

Last edited:

kandal

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
USA
This coming week will be very interesting for Turkey and Lira. USA is determined to punish Erdogan further for not releasing American Christian priest kept under house arrest.

Jun 2012
Malaysia
^
Andrew Brunson has been in prison nearly two years. That makes it longer than Donald has been in power as US Prez. That just makes one wonder, why this sudden focus by Trump on a controversial evangelical pastor about whom he had never gvn much attention before.

Well, one can think of several reasons:

1. Donald's quite obviously very, very limited 'success' with North Korea.
2. His increasingly failing trade war with China, so that now he wants to pick another trade fight with a much smaller nation, just in order to prove that he can 'win'.
3. His increasingly expanding personal battles on his own turf, so he needed to create yet another dramatic political distraction to cover them up.
4. Reccep is younger, taller, more distinguished & better looking than Donald.

5. Erdogan also happens to be obviously much more popular with his own domestic constituency, compared to Trump.
6. etc. etc. etc.

Last edited:

Similar History Discussions