Turkey commting assisted economic suicide?

Mar 2016
Antalya
This has nothing to do with USA or West making Turkey get in line. This is bad economical policies employed by AKP government. The tariff increase is relatively irrelevant when it comes to overall sink of Turkish currency. If there is an entity that can hit Turkish economy hard, that's EU.

Regarding NATO and its direction, NATO, or mainly USA, has stopped caring for Turkish interests. USA brazenly supports PKK's Syrian off-shoot YPG. International politics is a two way street and latest USA policies are detrimental to Turkey's best interests. More than that, support of Kurdish terrorists is an existential problem for Turkey as a state.

Last edited:
Mar 2016
Antalya
Turkish victory had several reasons.

1) Britain, France, Italy pulled out. They no longer wanted to fight long wars.

2) Ataturk signed peace treaty with Russia, gave up some areas and received monetary help and military help.

3) Greece was not economically powerful so they could not equip their army. In addition they tried to take more areas than they could.

4) Ataturk was great leader.

Still point is Ottoman Empire was not exactly a Turkish empire. Ottoman Turkish used a lot of Farsi-Arabic vocabulary, which Modern Turkish does not.
Ottoman Empire was not exactly a Turkish Empire because it had Arabic vocabulary? Modern Turkish does not use Farsi-Arabic words? The first claim is quite absurd. No language is pure when it comes to words and I am having hard times to understand the relationship between borrowed words in a language and ethnic ownership of a state/empire. Moreover, day to day Turkish (the one used by Sultan himself) of old -- 16th century -- is surprisingly similar to modern Turkish as far as I know. The second sentence is factually incorrect. Turkish still has lots of Arabic and Persian words.

1 ) None of these countries had energy to conduct another war.
2 ) Diplomacy isn't new.
3 ) Greek Army was funded and equipped by Britain.
4 ) At least you got something right in this post.

This is a mere and inane attempt to downplay various historical achievements and events, and a funny one at that.

Mar 2016
Antalya
Well, it seems erdugan's government finally decided to end their recent anti-european policy and is going to start rebuilding good political relationship with EU again.

Turkey vows to take quick moves on judicial reforms
If someone belivieves it, he/she is...naive, to say the least. They sentenced Nazli Ilicak and rest of Feto-bootlickers for life. Now, these people committed crimes, slander/defamation and perhaps some more, but lifetime sentence is nonsensical.

Jun 2012
Malaysia
Reading through many of the posts in these thread, Turkey shud by now be dead & buried. But funnily they're not, from what I've been hearing. Still quite alive & kicking, in fact. I guess some folks can be so persistent in their wishes & desires. The anti-Turkish ones among them, especially.

Oct 2010
Russia
and what is about external debt? It is really big and countinuing to grow.

ps
strange mismatch in numbers - 2010-2015 trade deficit is around 500 billion USD while current account deficit growth (for same period) is just 100 billions USD

Any considerations?

Attachments

Aug 2014
Australia
Reading through many of the posts in these thread, Turkey shud by now be dead & buried. But funnily they're not, from what I've been hearing. Still quite alive & kicking, in fact. I guess some folks can be so persistent in their wishes & desires. The anti-Turkish ones among them, especially.
There is a huge difference between being "anti-Turkish" and being "anti-Erdoğan" despite the current regime's attempt to conflate one with the other.

Mar 2016
Antalya
There is a huge difference between being "anti-Turkish" and being "anti-Erdoğan" despite the current regime's attempt to conflate one with the other.
Mainly West is pretty okay with equating Erdogan to Turkey. "Erdogan" and "Turkey" are used synonymously. Now, there is a truth to that considering how he solely rules Turkey, but that's textbook mixing anti-Turkism with anti-Erdogan stance.

Similar History Discussions