Turkey commting assisted economic suicide?

Willempie

Ad Honorem
Jul 2015
Netherlands
Mainly West is pretty okay with equating Erdogan to Turkey. "Erdogan" and "Turkey" are used synonymously. Now, there is a truth to that considering how he solely rules Turkey, but that's textbook mixing anti-Turkism with anti-Erdogan stance.
Well you guys voted for the guy. Even better is that among the Turks percentage-wise is that his support is higher with the Turks abroad than at home.

Mar 2016
Antalya
Well you guys voted for the guy.
Germans voted Hitler. I hardly ever see people equating Germans to Nazis. Although Germans voted Hitler, it is highly unlikely that they supported mass extermination of Jews. Germany of WWII is an extreme example, but is still applicable to Turkey. Not even all Erdogan supporters would support his decisions if they were well-informed. The media in Turkey is under heavy pressure.

Even better is that among the Turks percentage-wise is that his support is higher with the Turks abroad than at home.
This is relevant in what way? Erdogan's support in Turkey is not low too. He got 52 in last election.

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
Wasn't he elected again in 1938?
His party was the only legal party, so it's not like he could have lost. Though throughout the Nazi era, Germany only had parliamentary elections, but not the presidential ones. So, technically you could say Hitler never won a single presidential election.

EDIT: Apparently, this is my 2000th post. :D

Last edited:
Mar 2016
Antalya
His party was the only legal party, so it's not like he could have lost. Though throughout the Nazi era, Germany only had parliamentary elections, but not the presidential ones. So, technically you could say Hitler never won a single presidential election.

EDIT: Apparently, this is my 2000th post. :D
Not sure what are you trying to discuss here. Are you saying Hitler rose to power against the will of Germans? My point is, average citizen my elect someone as evil as Hitler, while not condoning what is being done by the electees. Tho, again, Hitler example is extreme. Erdogan is light years away from Hitler as a leader.

royal744

Ad Honorem
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
What is wrong about destruction of democracy?

Democracy only breed moral corruption, concentration of power with mercantile elites, gimping of national and governmental sovereignty, and enslavement of population under pretext of choice.

If anything, fall of democracy should be celebrated.
Well, there are a number of different forms of democracy, but the differences are mostly cosmetic or somewhat minor. The question seems to be, What is better than democracy? You didn’t mention what the alternative might be: Monarchy? Dictatorship of the proletariat (ROFL)?

Absolute monarchy certainly is way past its “sell by” date and leads to massive corruption. Dictatorship of the proletariat - well, that’s been tried and it failed massively and also resulted in massive corruption. Democracy has a lot of flaws, certainly but it is at least capable of huge improvement over time even after it has been abused and misused.

What do you see as a better alternative here?

Similar History Discussions