Turkey commting assisted economic suicide?

Baldtastic

Ad Honorem
Aug 2009
Londinium
Good luck. Make sure you get wasted in a proper "Meyhane" in Nevizade and don't let ***wits rip you off. 1 Dollar is 6 Turkish Liras. Ask for a Turkish Lira menu.
Thanks for the tips:)

I’m meeting up with some ex-colleagues of mine who are locals, the only tourist spots I’ll be visiting are the museums, palaces and mosques.

janusdviveidis

Ad Honorem
Mar 2014
Lithuania
I recommend visiting basilica cistern and on foot exploring defensive walls. Be careful on the walls in places int is easy to fall down in some defensive tower if you are not paying attention. Efes pilsen is excellent beer even for someone from Central Europe and Grand Bazaar is interesting for everyone.

Reactions: Ichon

Dan Howard

Ad Honorem
Aug 2014
Australia
Erdogan’s candidate lost in the recent Istanbul election so he has pressured the High Election Board to nullify the results. Predictably, the Lira collapsed. Foreign investors will never have any confidence in the Turkish economy so long as Erdogan continues to interfere in democratic processes and the rule of law.

As soon as this happened, Turkey sold more than $400 million of foreign currency but it had no effect at all. So now Turkey has lost another half a billion of reserves for no gain and is well on the way to becoming insolvent.

Last edited:

antocya

Ad Honorem
May 2012
Iraq
I think I’m the only one who doesn’t think the cistern is all that interesting.

Baldtastic

Ad Honorem
Aug 2009
Londinium
I recommend visiting basilica cistern and on foot exploring defensive walls. Be careful on the walls in places int is easy to fall down in some defensive tower if you are not paying attention. Efes pilsen is excellent beer even for someone from Central Europe and Grand Bazaar is interesting for everyone.
Had a nice trip, visited all 3 parts of the city (Asian and both sides of the European), spent some time with former colleagues, visited the sites and ate alot!

Would recommend Istanbul to anyone reading this!

Willempie

Ad Honorem
Jul 2015
Netherlands
Erdogan’s candidate lost in the recent Istanbul election so he has pressured the High Election Board to nullify the results. Predictably, the Lira collapsed. Foreign investors will never have any confidence in the Turkish economy so long as Erdogan continues to interfere in democratic processes and the rule of law.

As soon as this happened, Turkey sold more than $400 million of foreign currency but it had no effect at all. So now Turkey has lost another half a billion of reserves for no gain and is well on the way to becoming insolvent.
He seems to be doing his best to take Turkey back to the 1900s.

Apr 2012
The Netherlands
Now that's just creepy. Erdogan suffers a minor electoral defeat and the election is almost immediately declared illegal to be replaced by an outcome more to the liking of the sultan.

Willempie

Ad Honorem
Jul 2015
Netherlands
Now that's just creepy. Erdogan suffers a minor electoral defeat and the election is almost immediately declared illegal to be replaced by an outcome more to the liking of the sultan.
About as unexpected as the Spanish inquisition ;)

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
Sounds just like a European referendum.