Turkey commting assisted economic suicide?

Apr 2012
The Netherlands
Sounds just like a European referendum.
Oh? Have I been sleeping through the news again? I don't really recall much European referendums being declared illegitimate. Additional referendums are sometimes held when changes(however minor they might be) are made or new info becomes available. But I don't recall a single instance where the original election was outright declared illegal. There's a subtle difference in that the dictator option allows it to be framed as the ''rightful'' victor actually having been ''robbed'' of the post that was rightfully his because mister dictator wanted it.

I mean, even the Brexit so loathed by Brussels was allowed to keep its legitimacy even after some shady news about the Leave camp like breaking election laws or lying busses came to light. Even if Brexit was cancelled, even if Putin receives all the credit/blame then still no one depicts Brexit as ''organized crime'' like mister Sultan.

About as unexpected as the Spanish inquisition ;)
Nobody expects the Spanish inquisition! :eek:

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
Oh? Have I been sleeping through the news again? I don't really recall much European referendums being declared illegitimate. Additional referendums are sometimes held when changes(however minor they might be) are made or new info becomes available. But I don't recall a single instance where the original election was outright declared illegal. There's a subtle difference in that the dictator option allows it to be framed as the ''rightful'' victor actually having been ''robbed'' of the post that was rightfully his because mister dictator wanted it.
Different tactics. Same effect. Keep voting until you get the "right" result.

Willempie

Ad Honorem
Jul 2015
Netherlands

I mean, even the Brexit so loathed by Brussels was allowed to keep its legitimacy even after some shady news about the Leave camp like breaking election laws or lying busses came to light. Even if Brexit was cancelled, even if Putin receives all the credit/blame then still no one depicts Brexit as ''organized crime'' like mister Sultan.

Nobody expects the Spanish inquisition! :eek:
Catalan referendum comes to mind, certainly in combination with the Spanish inquisition.

Apr 2012
The Netherlands
Different tactics. Same effect. Keep voting until you get the "right" result.
I don't quite see it this way. Parliament and government bungling an issue for years until the question emerges if they are even capable of doing it and putting to vote whether people still have confidence, or if something was rejected over an issue that's already solved then that's quite a different reason than it just hurting the dictator's feelings. And people have the option of voting no a second time if their thoughts have not change. Its doubtful votes against Erdogan will end up being possible for half of Istanbul considering those votes not going to him was the reason the elections were declared illegal to begin with.

A second no in an anti EU referendum could even radically strengthen the anti EU side. A second victory for the mayor of Istanbul will radically send a soon to be former mayor to jail.

Apr 2012
The Netherlands
Catalan referendum comes to mind, certainly in combination with the Spanish inquisition.
Catalan referendum is a little different though. It wasn't a legal election declared illegal because a dictator didn't like the outcome. It was declared illegal long in advance because there wasn't any legal framework to hold an election in the first place. The law said no election was possible making the election against the law. That's consistent at the very least while Istanbul's stolen election was based on the mere whim of a sultan.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
Catalan referendum is a little different though. It wasn't a legal election declared illegal because a dictator didn't like the outcome. It was declared illegal long in advance because there wasn't any legal framework to hold an election in the first place.
Because the Spanish authorities didn't like the potential outcome.

Willempie

Ad Honorem
Jul 2015
Netherlands
Catalan referendum is a little different though. It wasn't a legal election declared illegal because a dictator didn't like the outcome. It was declared illegal long in advance because there wasn't any legal framework to hold an election in the first place. The law said no election was possible making the election against the law. That's consistent at the very least while Istanbul's stolen election was based on the mere whim of a sultan.
Ah yes, the constitutional court of Spain declared it illegal at the request of the government. Only difference was they did a little bit before the referendum, because unlike Erdogan they expected the outcome.

Apr 2012
The Netherlands
Ah yes, the constitutional court of Spain declared it illegal at the request of the government. Only difference was they did a little bit before the referendum, because unlike Erdogan they expected the outcome.
Isn't it more because the law itself already said in pretty crystal clear terms that you can't break off from Spain? So far Turkey's law does not say you can't vote for anyone other than Erdogan.