Turkey commting assisted economic suicide?

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
This is something I disagree. Kurds in Turkey are not bombs. They know what it is like to live in a somewhat developed country. Even today, with all economical turmoil, Turkey is best country to live in in the region.
Yugoslavia was a far better place to live in than Albania, yet Kosovo Albanians still wanted independence. People groups can be manipulated, especially groups like the Kurds that have historical grudges against the Turks.

Aug 2019
Netherlands
True but 1.5m refugee is better than 3m refugee, thanks to Erdogan.

By the way, let’s not forget how fiercly Europe supported Erdogan in a good portion of his career. It has been only few years since Erdogan started to be at odds with West. Europe is a factor (an to be blamed) in his dominance of Turkish politics.
That's based on erdolies and empty promises, I don't think Europe had this in mind earlier. That is like blaming a landlord who's getting trouble with a renter who starts to misbehave after a year. The only reason why it's 1.5 million instead of 3, are our payments..

Mar 2016
Antalya
The information I have tells me the opposite, but in any case no census has ever been taken about it, therefore nothing can be taken in either case to an absolute degree.
That's because the Kurds in Europe (not sure about USA but I would wager it is the same) has a certain political alignment. To cut it short, they were mostly forced to leave or feel the need to leave Turkey because of their separatist ideas, otherwise face jail. Now we can argue that this is FoS and all, but different topic. Eitherway, in contrast to Kurds in Europe, which some are even PKK sympathizers, Kurds in Turkey do not want more trouble and they could not care less about some independent Kurdistan bound to be yet-another 3rd-world shithole. Everyone knows this, including HDP, "pro-Kurdish" (as they say in Europe) party.

However both EU (different countries) along with the US, could apply necessary sufficient forces, militarily, economically or otherwise to bring someone to his senses.
What do you think TAF is? A rag-tag militia? It is the biggest army in Europe, the most experienced for sure and is the only army in active combat. TAF will streamroll any proxy that West will muster. The only hope for even stalemate against TAF is West's direct intervention and I wish you good luck on that.

Mar 2016
Antalya
Yugoslavia was a far better place to live in than Albania, yet Kosovo Albanians still wanted independence. People groups can be manipulated, especially groups like the Kurds that have historical grudges against the Turks.
There is no grudge between Turks and Kurds, for the most part at least. I for sure wouldn't call it historical in any case. The mistreatment is mostly in 90s, which is basically not "history". I also invite you to study demographics in Turkey. More than half of Kurds live in Western Turkey, not Eastern Turkey. They will not participate in any rebellion whatsoever, if that ever happens.

Mar 2016
Antalya
That's based on erdolies and empty promises, I don't think Europe had this in mind earlier. That is like blaming a landlord who's getting trouble with a renter who starts to misbehave after a year. The only reason why it's 1.5 million instead of 3, are our payments..
What I am saying is that you would not pay your way out for other leaders. They would not allow it as it is damaging to society. Do you think that anti-refugee sentiments are only rise in Europe? Turkey is going mad too.

Mar 2016
Antalya
That can be even worse since the memories are fresh, but you could be right. After all, you live in Turkey.
Mistreatment forced a sizable Kurds to support PKK but in last 10 years, the mindset in Turkey has changed which helped a lot. No one in their right mind now thinks Kurdish should be banned. What you also have to consider is religious and cultural ties. Turks and Kurds are mostly Sunni, and they have similar culture therefore Kurds integrated well into Turkish society, more than that they became a part a long time ago, dating back to Ottoman Empire. The ties are stronger than most people think. Still, this does not mean we are going to face an open rebellion if conditions are suitable and for that, again, we have TAF which is composed of Turkish and Kurdish personnel.

Aug 2019
Netherlands
What I am saying is that you would not pay your way out for other leaders. They would not allow it as it is damaging to society. Do you think that anti-refugee sentiments are only rise in Europe? Turkey is going mad too.
Yes, but the difference is that a great part of Turks are still voting for him, while being aware of all this meddling in syria and iraq by turkey itself.

Mar 2016
Antalya
Yes, but the difference is that a great part of Turks are still voting for him, while being aware of all this meddling in syria and iraq by turkey itself.
I am not completely sure they are educated enough to grasp the consequences of those policies. I am not sure if they are aware of anything.

Reactions: Deano
Nov 2014
USA
In the last few years I have seen a lot of Turks in Greece who have come to stay permanently in the country; they seem to mingle easily with the people, they also seem very peaceful and well behaved.
I was wondering whether they were followers of Gulen, but after talking to them I didn't get that impression; most of them they told me that they were persecuted in Turkey, they had lost their jobs, they had been put in jail, others had been harassed on mere accusations without any proof that they were Gulenists, or because they were against Erdogan's policies.
That tells me a lot of things and based on the results of the last few elections in Turkey I detect that there is a lot of opposition to the AKParty.
Maybe that's all good, because it could be signaling the end of the Sultan and his group, and that a true democracy finally taking hold in the country.

Last edited: