Turkey commting assisted economic suicide?

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
Turkey is yet another country that thinks the power of the USA can be disregarded. Good luck pal!
Today the power of the USA can't be disregarded by anyone. That doesn’t mean that all the other countries have to say just “yes” to the USA policies of the administration in office.

Aug 2019
Netherlands
I can see Turkey as a quasi European and modern country. But why do you think Iran ( mullah rule/sanctions) and Pakistan (army rule/huge illiterate population) will thrive in future?
Because it will be a question of time that Iran will be able to enter the global energy market with their huge reserves. Why else is macron so cosy with the iranians? And Pakistan will be important in the future east - west trade.

Dreamhunter

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
Malaysia
I don't see anything what present leadership of Turkey is doing as in the best interests of Turkey. Turkey had a revolution and choose to become secular country modernizing according European path. ( I am speaking about Ataturk) This, in my opinion, was quite successful decision. Turkey was rising, maybe not as Global powerhouse, but people were getting better standard of living, better education etc. Erdogan rallied support of radical part of Turkish population and used it to gain a lot of power. It is very good for Erdogan, not so much for the country. I see Turkey as going backwards during last few years and don't see direction changing any time soon. They are moving towards Pakistan, Afganistan and Iran, not towards Finland or Sweden. Where you would like to live if you have and easy choice?
You are only seeing what you want to see, while stubbornly refusing to see anything else. No way is Turkey going to be anything like Iran or Pakistan, let alone Afghanistan. While OTOH there is zero obligation for Turkey to aim to be like Sweden or Finland either.

Aug 2019
Netherlands
You are only seeing what you want to see, while stubbornly refusing to see anything else. No way is Turkey going to be anything like Iran or Pakistan, let alone Afghanistan. While OTOH there is zero obligation for Turkey to aim to be like Sweden or Finland either.
3 days ago the usa has decided that turkey's long term position as gas hub and most eastern nato stronghold to be transferred to the greeks. From now on things will be very different for Turkey..game over.

Baldtastic

Ad Honorem
Aug 2009
Londinium
3 days ago the usa has decided that turkey's long term position as gas hub and most eastern nato stronghold to be transferred to the greeks. From now on things will be very different for Turkey..game over.
I wouldn't say game over just yet, although clearly the last few years of Turkish threats to Europe regarding the migrants crisis and the playing off Russia/US against each other is starting to see a real world result.

To complete the picture, there would need to be a way to get them deeply involved in a protracted war...

Reactions: Deano