Turkey commting assisted economic suicide?

Aug 2019
Netherlands
He is the last man I see giving up land. He just won the civil war and stayed in power. I find it extremely unlikely that Syria would be willing to allow the Kurds to secede. They still claim the Golan and their chances of retaking control of that are very slim. They wouldn't let a region that they can still pacify secede.
Agreed. Besides, the resurrection of sunni arab opposition and free syrian army in the north is what the whole thing started. So, the assad regime will face a similar thing again like the beginning of that war.

Aug 2019
United States
I don't see anything what present leadership of Turkey is doing as in the best interests of Turkey. Turkey had a revolution and choose to become secular country modernizing according European path. ( I am speaking about Ataturk) This, in my opinion, was quite successful decision. Turkey was rising, maybe not as Global powerhouse, but people were getting better standard of living, better education etc. Erdogan rallied support of radical part of Turkish population and used it to gain a lot of power. It is very good for Erdogan, not so much for the country. I see Turkey as going backwards during last few years and don't see direction changing any time soon. They are moving towards Pakistan, Afganistan and Iran, not towards Finland or Sweden. Where you would like to live if you have and easy choice?
You are only seeing what you want to see, while stubbornly refusing to see anything else. No way is Turkey going to be anything like Iran or Pakistan, let alone Afghanistan. While OTOH there is zero obligation for Turkey to aim to be like Sweden or Finland either.
What does Pakistan have in common with Iran and Afghanistan? Absolutely nothing, ignorant people on the internet like to make uninformed comments, if anything Malaysia's constitution and laws are more similar to Iran's than Pakistan's is but I know you guys base your comments off the mainstream medias narrative so you wouldn't know that.

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
What does Pakistan have in common with Iran and Afghanistan? Absolutely nothing, ignorant people on the internet like to make uninformed comments, if anything Malaysia's constitution and laws are more similar to Iran's than Pakistan's is but I know you guys base your comments off the mainstream medias narrative so you wouldn't know that.
I think he was talking about Turkey disowning Kemalist liberalism under Erdogan that made Turkey similar to other European countries. in 1970s, even Afghanistan and Iran used quite liberal societies until Mullahs ended up controlling power in Iran and war came to Afghanistan.

janusdviveidis

Ad Honorem
Mar 2014
Lithuania
You want to tell me with straight face that tribal areas of Pakistan have nothing in common with Afghanistan? Iran was another matter and I have mentioned all tree as examples of Muslim countries that are quite religiously conservative in comparison with Turkey.