Turkish Ethnography

Feb 2017
Turkey
I am not sure if this topic belongs in this thread, but lets see. So I was wondering why do you guys think that it is so hard to recognize Turks. For example I mean there are the stereotypical look such as olive skin, dark hair, brown eyes, etc, but I am talking about Turks as a whole. For example you see people that are much darker some almost like people from Saudi Arabia or North Africa. You have people with blonde hair, blue eyes, and light skin. For example like Kıvanç Tatlıtuğ. Who with blonde hair looks almost Nordic. You have people like Engin Öztürk with red hair, and of course Furkan Kızılay. So why do you think it is so hard to pinpoint Turks. Myself as a Turk have even met Turkish people that I did not know were Turkish. Granted I myself have red hair, and brown eyes, but what do you think caused such a mix in how Turks look.

Feb 2014
Asia
what do you think caused such a mix in how Turks look.
Major Causes like - Anatolia was the crossroads of human migrations. And 'original Turks' also travelled all the way from Central Asia to reach Anatolia.
Minor and recent Causes like - Istanbul was Metropolitan city under the Ottomans that attracted people from far away regions. A lot of migrations like Caucasian and Balkan people to Turkey etc.

'Turk' is now a linguist term. That means a person who speaks 'Turkish language'. It doesn't matter anymore as from where the ancestors of any Turkish speaker originated.

Feb 2017
Turkey
Major Causes like - Anatolia was the crossroads of human migrations. And 'original Turks' also travelled all the way from Central Asia to reach Anatolia.
Minor and recent Causes like - Istanbul was Metropolitan city under the Ottomans that attracted people from far away regions. A lot of migrations like Caucasian and Balkan people to Turkey etc.

'Turk' is now a linguist term. That means a person who speaks 'Turkish language'. It doesn't matter anymore as from where the ancestors of any Turkish speaker originated.
So basically what you are saying is now it is almost virtually impossible to say where someone is from based on looks right? For example there are red haired bosnians and serbs. So basically at the end of the day there is really no 100% pure person anymore. So we cannot look at someone, and be like they are Turkish or Irish because someone who looks Irish could be Turkish and someone that looks Turkish could be Irish. Example Audrey Hepburn could pass for Mediterranean. So there is really no way to 100% guess where someone is from anymore.

Feb 2017
Manisa
What makes a man belonging to a nation? Mostly language, common heritage, traditions and stuff. There is not much difference when it comes to genetics for example in european nations yet they are counted as different nations. Seljuks were already mixed but they were still called turks. Many european converts where called turks when they when to the side of ottomans. They accepted islam and turkish traditions. And they became turkish.

May 2009
What makes a man belonging to a nation? Mostly language, common heritage, traditions and stuff. There is not much difference when it comes to genetics for example in european nations yet they are counted as different nations. Seljuks were already mixed but they were still called turks. Many european converts where called turks when they when to the side of ottomans. They accepted islam and turkish traditions. And they became turkish.

Yep. Its all part of living in a melting pot. There are plenty of Turks in the US, but I usually never even realize I'm talking to a Turk until they tell me their name. But I guess the same could be said for people of many countries.

Oct 2013
Europix
I am not sure if this topic belongs in this thread, but lets see. So I was wondering why do you guys think that it is so hard to recognize Turks. For example I mean there are the stereotypical look such as olive skin, dark hair, brown eyes, etc, but I am talking about Turks as a whole. For example you see people that are much darker some almost like people from Saudi Arabia or North Africa. You have people with blonde hair, blue eyes, and light skin. For example like Kıvanç Tatlıtuğ. Who with blonde hair looks almost Nordic. You have people like Engin Öztürk with red hair, and of course Furkan Kızılay. So why do you think it is so hard to pinpoint Turks. Myself as a Turk have even met Turkish people that I did not know were Turkish. Granted I myself have red hair, and brown eyes, but what do you think caused such a mix in how Turks look.
Sorry for nitpicking, but, AFAIK ethnography is about traditions, music, dance, legends, habbits, that kind of stuff, not how people look like physically.

May 2009
About red hair, some red-haired Turks came into the mix early on in Central Asia. There were red-haired/light haired people around on the steppes (like the Tocharians, Yuezhi and some Samoyedic people) that got absorbed into Turkic tribes and just became Turks themselves. The original Kyrgyz of the Yenisei valley in Siberia were known for having red hair and other typically Caucasian features, but their language and culture was completely Turkic. Some Uygurs also bore (and still bear) Tocharian features. You can even find the occasional blonde in places like Tibet because of ancient Yuezhi presence

Last edited:
Sep 2014
Texas
Just a question, do you acknowledge any non Turkish ancestors like the Galatians, Armenians or Byzantines?

Tulun

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Western Eurasia
Yes, I think it is impossible to trace as when and from where someone's ancestors moved to Anatolia.
well sometimes can, i don't know how well is it agreed among researchers but i've heard estimates that claim around 20% (or maybe even higher, up to 30% ?) of Turkey's current population is descending at least partly from recent muhacirs, 19th-20th century refugee populations from the Balkans, Crimea and the Caucasus... it is not that far away to make it untraceable.