Two India alternate history questions

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
Was Patel in favor of the partition of India like Nehru was?
I have no idea about it but Patel was against too much pampering of Muslims on the expense of Hindu rights. He took initiative to rebuild Somnath Temple last destroyed under Mughal rule although Nehru was against the idea. Nehru was left leaning.

Apr 2019
India
I have no idea about it but Patel was against too much pampering of Muslims on the expense of Hindu rights. He took initiative to rebuild Somnath Temple last destroyed under Mughal rule although Nehru was against the idea. Nehru was left leaning.
Afterall it was same Nehru who wrote 'Discovery of India'. I always felt he had low-key disdain for Hindu culture.
I find it amusing when a few political groups claim that Congress was a Hindu party or Congress was anti-Muslim considering most of their leaders were left-leaning.

kandal

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
USA
Afterall it was same Nehru who wrote 'Discovery of India'. I always felt he had low-key disdain for Hindu culture.
I find it amusing when a few political groups claim that Congress was a Hindu party or Congress was anti-Muslim considering most of their leaders were left-leaning.
Nehru was a western educated secular intellectual who had the ability to critically examine his people's culture. That might have appeared as 'low-key disdain for Hindu culture'.
It was people with the mindsets of Jinnah who thought of Congress party as a Hindu party or anti-Muslim.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Nehru was a western educated secular intellectual who had the ability to critically examine his people's culture. That might have appeared as 'low-key disdain for Hindu culture'.
It was people with the mindsets of Jinnah who thought of Congress party as a Hindu party or anti-Muslim.
How ironic, isn't it? Jinnah was unable to reach a deal with the Congress Party even though the Congress Party was relatively pro-Muslim! In turn, this paved the way for the rise of Hindu nationalists in India later on due to the secession of what later became hundreds of millions of Muslims from India.

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
How ironic, isn't it? Jinnah was unable to reach a deal with the Congress Party even though the Congress Party was relatively pro-Muslim! In turn, this paved the way for the rise of Hindu nationalists in India later on due to the secession of what later became hundreds of millions of Muslims from India.
Partition never led to the rise of Hindu nationalism. Hindu nationalism rose in India in the aftermath of Shah Bano Case (Shah Bano Divorce Case) and Ayodhya dispute in 1980s.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Partition never led to the rise of Hindu nationalism. Hindu nationalism rose in India in the aftermath of Shah Bano Case (Shah Bano Divorce Case) and Ayodhya dispute in 1980s.
My point here was that it would be much harder for people such as Modi (Hindu nationalists) to win in India had India had several hundred million additional Muslims, though.

Apr 2019
India
And here I thought an objective mind is supposed to be free from the prejudices...:)

Last edited:

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
India still need a true secularism, until now its only Hindu centric that is leading to the rise of Hindu nationalism. Hindu, Muslim and Christians are need to be equally treated.

Similar History Discussions