Two things you didn't know about "Eastern Europe"

antonina

Ad Honorem
Mar 2011
Warsaw, Poland
Only yesterday Anna James had this splendid idea of giving us, prickly Eastern Europeans *a platform where we could elaborate on our momentous contribution to European culture and the World at large.

However, I've noticed that the discussion thread "What about Eastern Europe" is already degenerating into bickering and kicking each other's ankles (not that it isn't enjoyable :D)

So I'd suggest that here we limit ourselves to posting just TWO FACTS, which we think are vital, important or simply wacky but fascinating about our countries.
And let's at least try to be brief, shall we?

* (actually, according to Kimi's map some of us are also Central Europeans, or Southern Europeans... anyway, you know who I mean: those guys who used to be behind the Iron
Curtain)

1. In all Polish high schools the graduation ball starts with the Polonez - a traditional dance dating back to the times of the great Polish Commomnwealth.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evbiDCf_cUM&feature=related"]YouTube - ‪II Liceum im. Batorego studniówka 2008 polonez‬‏[/ame]

The music comes from the final scene of Andrzej Wajda's film "Pan Tadeusz" - based on the great Romantic epic poem by Adam Mickiewicz, written on emigration in Paris after the fall of the 1830 Uprising against Tzarist Russia.

The dance symbolizes the unbroken chain of generations, following one another and the invincible spirit of Poland.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yh6s-2KezE"]YouTube - ‪Pan Tadeusz - Poloneza‬‏[/ame]

2. The Polish astronomer Mikołaj Kopernik (aka Copenicus) first proved that the Earth goes rund the sun, not vice versa.

Last edited:

crossroadclarence

Ad Honorem
Oct 2007
Borneo~ that big Island in S.E. ASIA
Well.....I'm a Poland fan; after lecturing Włoczewo (at a small venue to Varsovians) and spending many happy hours in Warsaw I learned:

1. Poles are great folks! A culture overlooked and underestimated!

2. Polish bakeries will make you fat! (Yes, more poppy-seed cake, please!)

Aug 2010
Central Macedonia
Another positive fact about Poland is that females tend to be blonde for some (genetic) reason.

Sankari

Ad Honorem
Mar 2011
6th Century Constantinople
1. A lot of East Europeans play World of Warcraft (especially Russians, or so it seems to me). I once knew a Polish guy in the game who belonged to a guild called "Polski Zoo." :D

2. The Gothic alphabet was created by a heretical Christian called Ulfilas, who converted the Goths to Arianism during the 4th Century. :)

antonina

Ad Honorem
Mar 2011
Warsaw, Poland
The Chech Republic:

1. BATA shoes

2. "Good King Wenceslas"

I've always been puzzled about the strange-sounding name in this traditional English Chrismas carol. It's only recently that I found out it's about the saint king Wacław (907-935)
or Svatý Václav, as the Chechs call him. Wacław is a popular name in Poland too, but I never recognised it in Wenceslas!

antonina

Ad Honorem
Mar 2011
Warsaw, Poland
I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Alani got about a bit. :D :D :D
I've looked up the Alani - their history was, I'm ashamed to admit, completely unknown to me.

From what I read, today they live mostly in Ossetia - is that right?
Do you speak the language?

Apr 2010
Slovakia
I've looked up the Alani - their history was, I'm ashamed to admit, completely unknown to me.

From what I read, today they live mostly in Ossetia - is that right?
Do you speak the language?
Ossetians are Allans. Part of them which did not flee Huns to the West. Instead they took in to the mountains.