Types of warriors from countries

Oct 2019
ca
Hello everyone.
I was wondering what type of warriors did these certain countries have?
England
Ireland
Poland
Hungary
Germany
By this question I mean how Japan has Samurais, Scandanavian countries and Vikings etc.

Oct 2019
United States
If iconic is what you want, so what a bunch of people from a large focus group could recognize, then I think of 70s-80s IRA for Ireland. Germany I think SS, Magyars in Hungary, and from England I think the Redcoats. Maybe the Ladies from Hell in their kilts. Of course, from Poland have to be the Winged Hussars, there's even a metal ballad about them.

Edric Streona

Ad Honorem
Feb 2016
Japan
IRA of the 70s warriors? What great battles did they fight? What epic fears of courage did they pull off?
I remember them as cowards who preferred murdering civillians to any form of actual combat.

Warriors of England
Gedright- household troops sworn to king or warlord. 5-7th centuries.
Thegns/ Housecarls- household bodyguards of kings and eorls. Thegns were aristocratic Warrior class. Housecarls were paid full time retainers. Mid to late saxon period and also, by Hastings many Thegns and Housecarls were part Danish.
Knights- from the Norman period to High Medieval period.
Longbowmen- heavy archers, by the later Medieval period, they made up a proffesional body of troops, quite often mounted (though dismounted to fight)
Billmen- full time halberdiers essentially. Mid to late medieval period. The Bow and Bill were a trusted combination that the English stuck with while others progressed.
Prickers- mounted light cavalry. Scouts and “foragers”, they sometimes fought in larger battles as ambush troops or to persue and harry touting enemies.
Men At Arms- mix of aristocratic men and full time proffesional soldiers who were not knights, armoured troops could be used as heavy cavalry or, as the English often favoured, heavy foot.
New Model Soldiers- the seedlings of the modern army begin here, commonly wore red, mix of pike and musket, they evolve into redcoats.

Zip

Jan 2018
Comancheria
When I think of historical Irish soldiers I think of them being excellent conventional troops fighting for countries other than Ireland; for The UK, Spain, the United States, France and Mexico for instance.

For instance my Grandfather, a Catholic from Armagh who was a British regular and an Old Contemptible.

Feb 2019
Serbia
I guess your asking for the stereotypical armies that people associate the countries with? If yes:

England-Longbowmen,Redcoats,New Model Army.

Ireland-??? (I'm not sure, since the Irish units in the British Army and Irish units serving for other countries probably don't count I have no idea what fits the criteria, maybe the original IRA from the Irish War of Independence but they aren't really ''warriors''.)

Poland-Winged Hussars.

Hungary-??? (Black Army and Hungarian units in the Austrian army come to mind for me but I don't know how much they are widespread for others.)

Germany- Wehrmacht, Prussian army of Frederick the Great (Despite the popular misconceptions about them.).

Edric Streona

Ad Honorem
Feb 2016
Japan
Warriors of Ireland. I’m less knowledgeable here so may miss some details.

Fianna- Young nobles with no inheritance. Seems like the fulfilled a military/police like role in exchange for food and a roof. Dark age period and earlier.
Kerns- Light troops, mid to late medieval troops, many of the served as mercanaries in English and Scottish forces (Edward I considered them amongst his best troops).

Gallowglass- strictly speaking these were Hiberno-Norse mercanaries, but they made their name in Ireland. Heavy infantry.

Edric Streona

Ad Honorem
Feb 2016
Japan
Wales.
The Welsh would gain fame as longbowmen like the English.

Teulu- they were similar to Fiann or Gedricht. Mounted household troops and bodyguards. The best of a dark age Welsh army.

Priodaur- Welsh for warrior though from what I can tell they were similar in function to English Duguth or later Ceorls. Freeborn men armed for war ... but I don’t think they were full time proffesionals.

Edric Streona

Ad Honorem
Feb 2016
Japan
Picts- we don’t know much about Pictish military orginisation. It is likely they had, like other people’s of their time a Warrior aristocracy with some elite bodyguard/household retainers, then a core of part time warrior freemen called up when needed and a larger levy of peasants who were given no choice.

Border Horse- in truth these were a mix of English and Scottish families in the lowland and northern border counties. From the 1400-1600s they were an excellent type of light cavalry for both English and Scottish armies though stubborn, willful and apt to do what they like. Essentially became the border reivers.

Highlander Clan infantry-
A family/clan levy of warrior aristocrats and their conscripted tennenants and trusted employees. The wealthy were very well armed with Claymore, dirks, bucklers and pistols. The majority carried whatever they had.

Knights- Scottish knights were armed and equipped much like all other knights. Medieval Scottish armies are fairly similar in appearance to other British medieval armies save for a preference for piles and spears over bills.

Edric Streona

Ad Honorem
Feb 2016
Japan
British
Redcoats - the British army Infantry from 1701 onwards. - can be broken up into
Grenadiers- every battalion had a company of these. The biggest men picked to look imposing and chuck grenades. The grenades became obsolete but their roll as the battalions best men stuck.
Fusileers- started out as troops armed with fusils instead of muskets. After these became obsolete they were essential just Line troops with a posh name.
Light Infantry- skirmishers. Eventually every company had them, and whole regiments became them. Changing nature of warfare eventually meant all troops needed both light and linier training and the distinction became obsolete except as maintaining tradition and pride.
Guards- household royal troops. No difference in training or recruitment but the got better pay and larger units.
Highlanders- initially used as light infantry. Recruited from highland Scotland. In all respects bar uniform they become like all line troops.

Green Jackets-
Riflemen initially, started off as rangers in the American wars, before two regiments were incorporated in the line. The only true “elite” troops of the army as the only recruited intelligent men who were proven marksmen.
Eventually as standards in the army change they become just a unique but otherwise normal line regiment.