Types of warriors from countries

Oct 2019
United States
Well Guerilla doesn’t mean warrior. It means “little war”.
Implying a guerrilla is a little warrior. Don't be pedantic.
And the IRA of the 70s and 80s did not wage a guerilla campaign, the didnt dare. They ran a terror campaign like a certain modern religious group.
What we call Terrorism today is just the conventional powers moralizing the dirty facts of war to the advantage of their propaganda machines, and the protection of commercial interests.
And civilians are NOT legitimate targets in war...
Yes, they are.
Can you name one actual battle the IRA fought?
No, and the IRA weren't capable of fighting conventional battles.
^ Well, there goes this thread. Gonna have tommies and nira at each others throats in a minute...
I'm neither of those. OP asked a silly question, I thought I'd try and open up, but I learned my lesson not to post in this forum again. Replying in this place is like stepping on caltrops.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
Implying a guerrilla is a little warrior. Don't be pedantic.
Sorry to say, but that is incorrect! Please read my previous post and the origin of the term. It is related about the way the war is made. By the way, in this case Eric was not "pedantic" but correct in the statement.

"Guerilla" is not a warrior, but the way the war is made. "Guerilheiro"/"guerrillero" is the "warrior", the person that fights that kind of little war.

Zip

Jan 2018
Comancheria
Sorry to say, but that is incorrect! Please read my previous post and the origin of the term. It is related about the way the war is made. By the way, in this case Eric was not "pedantic" but correct in the statement.

"Guerilla" is not a warrior, but the way the war is made. "Guerilheiro"/"guerrillero" is the "warrior", the person that fights that kind of little war.
In English, the language of this forum, a guerilla is a warrior or soldier.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
In English, the language of this forum, a guerilla is a warrior or soldier.
I think is "guerrilla fighter", being "guerrilla" a missleading short. But if you say so, I will accept.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
Thank you.
Well, since you corrected an error that I made, I should be the one to thank you. I confess that I never wrote “guerrilla” in English with the meaning of the person, it just felt wrong for me and I always wrote “guerrilla fighter”, but it seems that the term passed to English also with that meaning. It seems I got lost in the translation. Curiously I guess that now I will look more carefully when seeing the word written in English:

See how the “him” was odd for me here: https://www.marines.mil/Portals/1/Publications/FMFRP 12-25 The Guerrilla and How to Fight Him.pdf

Reactions: Zip

Kevinmeath

Ad Honoris
May 2011
Navan, Ireland
Sorry anyone who loves Irish history would find the notion that IRA men of the 1970's or 80's as the greatest Irish warriors as simply ridiculous if not down right offensive.

To think such is simply ignorant.

Now if you want to propose the original IRA that's a stronger argument.

Sep 2012
Tarkington, Texas
Getting back to the original OP, I am reminded about how the Spanish in Roman Times were famous for their Missile Light Infantry. In Medieval Times, the Moors were famous for their Missile Light Infantry. I guess both were popular for economic reasons.

Pruitt

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
Getting back to the original OP, I am reminded about how the Spanish in Roman Times were famous for their Missile Light Infantry. In Medieval Times, the Moors were famous for their Missile Light Infantry. I guess both were popular for economic reasons.

Pruitt
Could you elaborate?