Types of warriors from countries

johnincornwall

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Cornwall
I saw these units Lusitanian javelinmen, Almogavars (and Jinetes/Ginetes from Frank post) in Medieval Total War series. Despite that this is a game series it is known that developers tried hard to achieve historical accuracy in order to attract more gamers.

So description of Lusitanian javelinmen: Excellent skirmishes, lightly armoured and fighting with a javelin in Iberian fashion (probably the best Early Medieval javelinmen unit on the continent). Since the days of the Lusitani tribes in ancient times, the Portuguese have had a long tradition of fighting with the javelin. These lightly armoured skirmishers, drawn from the peasantry, are armed with javelins which they hurl at their foes to weaken their enemies and break up formations. Despite their humble origins these troops are excellent skirmishes.

Almogavars (High and Late Medieval): Elite light infantry skirmishers armed with javelins and spears, and sometimes armour. The name Almughavar comes from Arabic, 'al mughavir' meaning raiders. Originating from Aragon, from both Christian and Muslim backgrounds, these professional warriors are elite light infantry skirmishers armed with javelins and spears, and sometimes armour. Despite their light equipment, they have a fearsome reputation /// Roger de Flor from the Catalan company, a general with pretty good stats is also present.
The Almogavares of Roger de Flor from Aragon (loosely) etc are famed under that name but we merely call them a name already in existance because of the nature of their troop - rough and ready, extremely hard professional mercenary fighters often half as dangerous to their own side as the enemy, especially when under-employed

The older meaning of Almogavares is sort of people who dwelt in and around La Frontera (between Christian and Muslim kingdom/empires). People who could just as easily work for either side, spoke both languages, got involved in all sorts of shady deals, were very hard and tough but also acted as intermediaries if you wanted to deal with 'the other side' - ransoms, return of captives, slaves etc. Consequently what they wore or used was a matter of personal choice, surely. Except in computer games

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
The Almogavares of Roger de Flor from Aragon (loosely) etc are famed under that name but we merely call them a name already in existance because of the nature of their troop - rough and ready, extremely hard professional mercenary fighters often half as dangerous to their own side as the enemy, especially when under-employed

The older meaning of Almogavares is sort of people who dwelt in and around La Frontera (between Christian and Muslim kingdom/empires). People who could just as easily work for either side, spoke both languages, got involved in all sorts of shady deals, were very hard and tough but also acted as intermediaries if you wanted to deal with 'the other side' - ransoms, return of captives, slaves etc. Consequently what they wore or used was a matter of personal choice, surely. Except in computer games
One time more I agree with you John! Yes Almogavares were frontier men (Christian and muslims) and not only from Aragon but also from Castile, Al-Andalus, etc and as you well said...they were intermediades and i think they existed from the days the frontiers begun....But as you well know being as you are a specialized in Spanish Medieval History... the most "famous" Almogavares (at least from a international point of views) were the "Big Company" and its adventures in Sicily, Balkan, Anatolia...but you are right... and yes.. there were Muslims Almogavares too. And they spoke many languages.. I guess a mixed language...

It is funny but I can´t find any contemporanean iconography about Almogavares (not even about the Catalan Company).... only romantic portrait from 19th Century onwards...

Dan Howard

Ad Honorem
Aug 2014
Australia
I think you don´t know the difference between Guerrillas and Terrorism.... IRA, ETA, S 11.. etc are terrorist organization and terrorist missions.. others groups use Terrorism and Guerrillas (IS, Al Qaeda, Al Fatah) etc and others only Guerrilla warfare...

IRA is not Guerrilla but terrorism...What battles did they fight? What ambushes? What "liberated" zone they had.... etc etc
There is no difference between guerrilla and terrorism. The definition depends on who's side you are on.

Frank81

Ad Honorem
Feb 2010
Canary Islands-Spain
One time more I agree with you John! Yes Almogavares were frontier men (Christian and muslims) and not only from Aragon but also from Castile, Al-Andalus, etc and as you well said...they were intermediades and i think they existed from the days the frontiers begun....But as you well know being as you are a specialized in Spanish Medieval History... the most "famous" Almogavares (at least from a international point of views) were the "Big Company" and its adventures in Sicily, Balkan, Anatolia...but you are right... and yes.. there were Muslims Almogavares too. And they spoke many languages.. I guess a mixed language...

It is funny but I can´t find any contemporanean iconography about Almogavares (not even about the Catalan Company).... only romantic portrait from 19th Century onwards...
That's true, it's very difficult to find a true medieval depiction of Almughavars, but I remember to have seen infantry with javelins in some pics, we must research deeper

In any case, for sure the Almughavars fought in a speciel way in the medieval context, more alike to ancient warfare. Everybody can check Ramón Muntaner's chronicle in English here http://www.yorku.ca/inpar/muntaner_goodenough.pdf The basic weaponry and tactic of the Almughavers is described many times, basically using a light lance and deadly darts, complemented with cavalry and crossbowmen

Reactions: martin76

Dan Howard

Ad Honorem
Aug 2014
Australia
There is nothing special in the way the Almughavars fought. Their tactics and equipment were the same as all light infantry from the region during that time.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
There is nothing special in the way the Almughavars fought. Their tactics and equipment were the same as all light infantry from the region during that time.
Curiously in the 15th and 16th centuries the Portuguese Almogavares in the North Africa were usually mounted. They made raids called "Almogaverias" to still cattle and make slaves.

Oct 2019
United States
IRA is not Guerrilla but terrorism...What battles did they fight? What ambushes? What "liberated" zone they had.... etc etc
Battle of Springmartin. You know how quickly google found your answer? 1.26 seconds.

Now, I know. I just know some internet contrarian is going to say "well, that's not a sustained battle, but a series of multiple gun fights." Don't let me down, internet.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
Battle of Springmartin. You know how quickly google found your answer? 1.26 seconds.

Now, I know. I just know some internet contrarian is going to say "well, that's not a sustained battle, but a series of multiple gun fights." Don't let me down, internet.
Almost always known as "Battle at Springmartin". Seems quite a reverse euphemism. Probably the cause of the "at". We shouldn’t even call it a skirmish.

Reactions: Starcatherus