Types of warriors from countries

Jun 2019
ru
Firstly in Russia was the warriors with short trousers, but in 19 century there is hussars dress, even on Kings
For this reason I don't believe that Napoleon was beaten in Russia, or just gone
it was a coup

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
You are delusional if you think the almogavars were never defeated. Have you heard of the Battle of Najera? English longbows destroyed the almogavars, who predictably tried to harass their flanks, and then they turned their arrows on the charging Spanish heavy cavalry. The surviving almogavars ran away to the town of Najera where they were once again defeated by the English pillagers.

I am talking about the Big Company, the Catalonian Company.... the Eastern Company... I am talking about that guys before fighting in battle they said...ARAGÓN, ARAGÓN, DESPERTA FERRO! And not.. they were never defeated.... only 80 years laters.... their grandchildren will be defeated by others men came from Spain... the Navarran Company... but that guy... that´s another history!

Frank81

Ad Honorem
Feb 2010
Canary Islands-Spain
Of course they did. Look up the battle of Najera (1367). You counter almogavars just like any other skirmisher.
In Nájera, what the English encountered were Jinetes, not Almughavar infantrymen

And the English longbowmen proved to be something they never faced before. While fighting the Muslims in Al-Andalus, Christian jinetes had encounter foot and mounted Turkish units with their eastern bows, which had little effect at all

The English longbow proved to be a totally different affair

Reactions: martin76

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
In Nájera, what the English encountered were Jinetes, not Almughavar infantrymen

And the English longbowmen proved to be something they never faced before. While fighting the Muslims in Al-Andalus, Christian jinetes had encounter foot and mounted Turkish units with their eastern bows, which had little effect at all

The English longbow proved to be a totally different affair
I agree again. I I have a book about Nájera... as you well said.. not Almughavars at all in Nájera.. but jinetes and some heavy cavalry
In pdf in internet it is the analysis of the battle of Nájera by Fernando Castillo Cáceres. 2006. Not almogavares in Nájera at all. +1. Almogavares would have never attacked as in Nájera... that´s not their style.

Frank81

Ad Honorem
Feb 2010
Canary Islands-Spain
There were jinetes and almughavars at Najera.
We should check the original sources.

In case of fighting mounted, Almughavars were jinetes; but not all jinetes were almughavars. Cavalry employed by the Catalan company were noble knights, and didn't fight like jinetes at all.

Javelin armed Infantry and cavalry from Iberia were of much difference performance, though.

Nájera is a great example of the exceptionality of the English longbow, which is often doubt when comparing with Turkish bow. When the jinetes approached the English longbowmen, they were badly mauled by the "firepower" of their enemies; when retreated back to skirmish from farther, they were even more heavily punished. This painful damage the English longbow inflicted to jinetes was totally new for them, and is a great difference from the Turkish bow (ligther vs heavier arrow?) and that's why they failed twice and were ultimately crushed.

Frank81

Ad Honorem
Feb 2010
Canary Islands-Spain
I also notice many things said here are wrong.

Almughavars were not typical light infantry: they weren't subordinated to heavier units in the battlefield, their primary task was not scouting, neither their tactic was harassing with delaying maneuvers, moving by the flanks, the rear or far from the main combat. They could do all of this with their ligh spears and javelins, but that wasn't what they did the most.

The description of Ramón Muntaner's Chronicle makes clear: that Almughavars formed the core of the infantry force, that they formed the frontal and main line of infantrymen, and they prefered forcing a decisive encounter. This doesn't mean they fought as phalanx or holding the ground.

All these characteristics made them similar to ancient Iberian and Celtiberian infantrymen. Thence, Almughavars were absolutley unique in the warfare context of 1300 through Europe and Asia, only in Africa could be found something similar.

Reactions: martin76
Aug 2019
North
Hello everyone.
I was wondering what type of warriors did these certain countries have?
England
Ireland
Poland
Hungary
Germany
By this question I mean how Japan has Samurais, Scandanavian countries and Vikings etc.
If you're interested in the ancient world, I propose the macedonian peltasts- that is besides the phalangites.

If you're interested in the more recent macedonian history, I propose the macedonian komitas- the guerrilla thorns in the ottomans' foot.

Last edited: