Types of warriors from countries

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
I agree with Frank... I add they were the best infantry in the wold in those days...they defeated everybody: French in Sicily... Frankish, Nordic, Turks, Bulgarians, Caucasian (Alans, Chechen etc).. they were.. literally unbeateable... their victories in battles as Gallipolli (44.000 enemies), Apros (35.000 enemies), Cephissus.... evidenced.. they were unbeatable... nor infantry, nor cavalry nor Greek Fire were able to beat them!

In picotin, in Greece, they annihilated the famous Burgundian heavy Calvary..... 150 years before Swiss pikemen!... and not with pike but with their famous Coltell

Nov 2019
Oregon
What does the word "kern" itself mean?
I dont speak the language

"The word kern is an anglicisation of the Middle Irish word ceithern [kʲeθʲern] or ceithrenn meaning a collection of persons, particularly fighting men. An individual member is a ceithernach.[1] The word may derive from a conjectural proto-Celtic word *keternā, ultimately from an Indo-European root meaning a chain.[2] Kern was adopted into English as a term for a Gaelic soldier in medieval Ireland and as cateran, meaning Highland marauder, bandit. The term ceithernach is also used in modern Irish for a chess pawn."

Nov 2019
Oregon

"The gallowglass (also spelt galloglass, gallowglas or galloglas; from Irish language:gallóglaigh ) were a class of elite mercenary warriors who were principally members of the Norse-Gaelic clans of Scotland between the mid 13th century and late 16th century. As Scots, they were Gaels and shared a common background and language with the Irish, but as they had intermarried with the 10th century Norse settlers of western Scotland, the Irish called them Gall Gaeil ("foreign Gaels").
Large numbers of gallowglass septs settled in Ireland after being dispossessed of their lands in Scotland for choosing the wrong sides in the Wars of Scottish Independence. "

Gallowglass Mercenaries were known to to use the 2 handed "Claymore"/ Greatsword. They also had a person to carry some of their equipment around, very similar to a squire.