UFO in Dečani?

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
Erich von Daniken, an author famous for his books on the topic of ancient aliens, mentioned Serbia in his work. In the Serbian Monastery of Visoki Dečani there is a frescoe that Daniken claims show flying craft.

1560780087131.png
Frescoe in Dečani; potential UFOs are circled

Although some people believed in this story, experts quickly dismissed this interpretation as false. The objects are not alien spacecraft, but are meant to represent the Sun and the Moon. And the Dečani are not the only place where we see the Sun and the Moon is the frescoes of the Crucifixion. For example, we have this example from the Cappadocian Karanlik Church:

1560780215726.png
Crucifixion depicted in Karanlik

A similar example is found in the Monastery of Osios Loukas:
1560780298111.png

A further example from the Rabbula Gospels:
1560780503500.png

In all of these examples, we see orbs around Jesus and it is pretty easy to see that they are indeed the Sun and the Moon. There is no reason to think that the situation is different in Dečani.

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
If I said what I really thought of Von Danikan and his work, I'd probably be banned.
Ancient Aliens show is my guilty pleasure. It's so fun to see them just explaining everything with aliens. I think there was an episode that mentioned a South American civilization that disappeared and whose members lived in fortresses by the civilization's end and, instead of concluding that maybe some kind of a war broke out, they concluded that aliens destroyed them or something like that.
"as some ancient astronaut theorists believe"

Jun 2018
New Hampshire
Ancient Aliens show is my guilty pleasure. It's so fun to see them just explaining everything with aliens. I think there was an episode that mentioned a South American civilization that disappeared and whose members lived in fortresses by the civilization's end and, instead of concluding that maybe some kind of a war broke out, they concluded that aliens destroyed them or something like that.
"as some ancient astronaut theorists believe"
You are far more tolerant than I am. I would be tempted to shoot the television screen if I had to suffer through that stupidity.

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
You are far more tolerant than I am. I would be tempted to shoot the television screen if I had to suffer through that stupidity.
I see your point, the show is not for everyone. I just enjoy it. I especially love the episode about dinosaurs. They concluded the aliens killed them.

Similar History Discussions