"Under God" and the Pledge of Allegiance

Jun 2006
Charleston
Just recently there has been a lot of talk about removing the words "under God" from our pledge of allegiance. I love America but i think the government is to concerned about pleasing everyone. I enjoy my rights as a United States citizen and being part of a Democracy. It is your right so say whatever you want. If some people want to say Under God, let them... If some people don't, let them. But I think the pledge should stay the way it is. That's how it was written.

I absolutely agree with you. I'm not a christian, but I still don't think it's right to change what we grew up with because some people say they are "offended". But I also don't think we should be forced to say it if we don't agree. It should definately be a personal choice. In high school I was forced to say it, and I hated every time I had to. Even with that, I still think we shouldn't change it. It's part of our history. Part of what everything we know today was based on. We can't change that.

Lord_Cronus

Historum Emeritas
Jun 2006
Georgia
UberCryxic said:
Beyond the naive nostalgia for history and tradition, it should be noted that the phrase "Under God" was added to the Pledge in 1954 to distinguish America from the "godless" Soviet Union. It was a political move more than anything else.
Yes, indeed. And depending on the way you read, "one nation, under God" you could interpret it as meaning we are a nation under God, or the only nation under God. I say it should have been left the way it was before without it.

Commander

Historum Emeritas
Jun 2006
Jacksonville, FL
I understand where people come from when they say they want the words removed from the pledge... Technically you can't force people to say this in schools because public schools are supposed to be separated from religion.

I personally don't have a problem saying it, and I'm not to most religious person out there. But it doesn't bother me. I've said the pledge the same way for 23 years. It would be weird if it changed.

royal744

Ad Honorem
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
Just recently there has been a lot of talk about removing the words "under God" from our pledge of allegiance. I love America but i think the government is to concerned about pleasing everyone. I enjoy my rights as a United States citizen and being part of a Democracy. It is your right so say whatever you want. If some people want to say Under God, let them... If some people don't, let them. But I think the pledge should stay the way it is. That's how it was written.
Yeah, but “under God” was not in the original pledge. It should have been left the way it was written.

Chlodio

Ad Honorem
Aug 2016
Dispargum
Saying the pledge of allegiance at school is one of these super weird american traditions when viewed from abroad. Forced public displays of loyalty and obedience is a trope of dictatorships, not of a self confident and successful democracy.
Saying the pledge was seen as important in American schools because it was the schools that were charged with turning the children of immigrants into full-fledged Americans. The pledge was not the only device used to teach or inspire patriotism. I understand why that seems strange in countries that don't have our experience with immigration. If you're familiar with the concept of the ugly American, that's where it comes from. Our schools were so enthusiastic about creating good American citizens that they forgot about how good the rest of the world can be.

Mar 2018
UK
Our schools were so enthusiastic about creating good American citizens
And that's precisely the distopian, government mandated brainwashing everyone else finds creepy. Sure, mabye it lead to more good than bad, and I'm sure that those in charge think exactly that way. But everyone who starts such a program believes it's for the greater good! That does exactly nothing to make it less creepy.

Other countries have had high immigration - Australia has the most immigrants per capita in the world - but they don't resort to such tactics and have probably succeeded in integrating immigrants as well as (or even better) than the US.

Jun 2010
Colorado Springs (PA at heart)
Saying the pledge of allegiance at school is one of these super weird american traditions when viewed from abroad. Forced public displays of loyalty and obedience is a trope of dictatorships, not of a self confident and successful democracy.
Yeah, when I lived in England I had a discussion with some people about the pledge and everyone thought it was so weird, not only that I knew it but that I was forced to say it every morning before school. I understand it was a way to teach children immigrants or children of immigrants to be American and patriotic, because we had/have so many immigrants, but I still think it's more like brainwashing. Amusingly, one year I had Spanish class first period so we said the pledge in Spanish. I'm still surprised no one complained.

Similar History Discussions