Unification of Italy vs Unification of Germany

More interesting: German unification or Italian unification?

• German Unification

• Italian Unification

• I can't decide between them.

• Both are boring.

Results are only viewable after voting.

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Lago Maggiore, Italy
Yes; correct! In turn, this is why I like German unification more than Italian unification. I mean, sure, Italy is certainly a great country, but it never managed to become a semi-superpower like Germany did. I think that Germany had a lot of potential had it won World War I. I mean, Germany still does have a lot of potential right now, but the World Wars and a legacy of Communism in eastern Germany certainly left their toll on Germany.

Of course, the downside of German unification was that the Holocaust ultimately ended up happening. The interesting thing is that even the Russian Empire, with its staunch anti-Semitism, never contemplated mass murder of Jews anywhere near the scale that Nazi Germany engaged in. It really is quite sad that a country which was much friendlier towards Jews than Russia at the start of the 20th century ended up committing the Holocaust. :(
It's out of doubt that Germany has affected world history well more than Italy! Without the unification of Germany in continental Europe it would have been France VS Russia. No doubt.

This said, regarding Jews and Germany, when under Nazism the persecution begun, not a few German Jews probably felt something wrong: they fought for the Kaiser and Germany in WWI and thousands of them received medals and rewards [article in German: Volkstrauertag: Deutsche jüdische Soldaten | Volksbund.de].

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
It's out of doubt that Germany has affected world history well more than Italy! Without the unification of Germany in continental Europe it would have been France VS Russia. No doubt.
Correction--France, Britain, and probably Austria-Hungary against Russia.

This said, regarding Jews and Germany, when under Nazism the persecution begun, not a few German Jews probably felt something wrong: they fought for the Kaiser and Germany in WWI and thousands of them received medals and rewards [article in German: Volkstrauertag: Deutsche jüdische Soldaten | Volksbund.de].
Yeah, it certainly is a huge shame that German Jews saw their country betray them after they risked their lives and well-being for their country. :(

Jul 2018
London
I am torn. On my father's side, one great grandparent came from Italy, the other from the part of Poland controlled by Prussia/Germany. The latter was probaly more adversely affected personally, than the former. Still, from a purely historical account the Italian unification is more interesting, filled with drama and uncertainty. After all, once Prussia defeated the A-H Empire and then France, was there any doubt that the German states would be unified? It was a fait accompli. The Italian unification, on the other hand, was in peril right up to its completion in 1861, and even then Rome and Venice were not part of the nation. There was more political intrigue and alliances with the building of the Italian nation.
I totally subscribe to your point of view. The Italian unification is an amazing story; full of everything you can imagine that makes a story a good story.
Even from a purely romantic point of view it is something worth telling. I am planning a series of videos about that but it is a large bite to swallow so I am not doing now, likely in the future...

Jul 2018
London
One common theme though is that people's Italian and German ancestors wouldn't see themselves as such if we go about 2 centuries back.
I don't know about the Germans but Italy has been a people without a state since the fall of the western Roman Empire. There has always been some level of acknowledgement that the people living south of the Alps were all connected and all "relatives", despite the political division, often very fierce.

Similar History Discussions